OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 2004-02 > 1077362609

From: Stephanie Jenkins <>
Subject: Re: [OXF] Re: Oxford Photographers
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:30:23 +0000

Dear Howard

I am glad to see this idea taken up: thanks for your help.

Many of these portrait photographers also took scenic views, producing
their own postcards, so such a database will help date buildings as well as
people. Incidentally, the firm that produced the most Oxford postcards was
a national one, Frith's. I have just found this handy ready reckoner that
enables you to date a Frith's card by the number printed on each card:
http://www.ajmorris.com/roots/photo/postcard/frith.htm

I will send Stephen Rench a list of photographers in the High Street, as
this is very easy for me to do (I just searched for "Photographer" on my
High Street website). I will copy it below, in case it helps other people
on the list. Note that many of these photographers didn't just pack up:
they moved to other streets outside the High. Indeed Gillman & Soame is
still going strong today.

---------------
Bracher, Edward
1852-1863: 26 High Street
1863: sold the business to Wheeler & Day

Day, George P.
1875-1876+: 95 High Street (presumably breaking away from Wheeler & Day)

Gillman & Soame (incorporating Hill & Saunders):
1939-1970: 56 High Street

Guggenheim, J.W.
1866-1883: 56 High Street

Leslie, George (incorporating Gillman)
1934-1941: 55 High Street

Miller, John G.
1866-1875: 94 High Street

Penrose & Palmer
1921-1941: 50 High Street

Rose, William R.
1916-1964: 133 High Street

Soame, James (junior)
1889-1894: 56a High Street
1895-1909: 101 High Street
1909: shop demolished to make way for the Rhodes Building

Studio Edmark
1970-1976+: 130 High Street

Taunt, Henry
1854: Started at the age of 14 with Edward Bracher at 26 High Street
1863: Took over as manager when Bracher's business was sold to Wheeler & Day
1866: Took over a shop in Cornmarket, moving to 9-10 Broad Street in 1874
1894/5: 41 High Street
1896-1906: 34 High Street

Taylor, Norman
1918-1947: 107A High Street

Wheeler & Day
1866-1871: 106 High Street (bought Edward Bracher's business)
1872: Appears to have split into two separate businesses, with Wheeler
remaining here and Day moving into 95 High Street

Wheeler, William Henry
1872-1918: 106 High Street

Best wishes
Stephanie