OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 2005-02 > 1107442227

From: Chris Rendle <>
Subject: Re: [OXF] Canal Street, Oxford
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 14:50:09 +0000

Dear Kaye,

The arrival of much needed supplies of affordable coal at Oxford (when the
canal was completed in the middle of a freezing winter) was greeted with a
mixture of joy and relief.

St. Thomas's Parish Churchwardens' Accounts

January 7th 1790
Ringing Day at Mr. Blenhans for rejoicing at ye coals coming to Oxford to ye
New Cannal Wharf
5s 0d

Thomas W. Squires "In West Oxford" published A.R.Mowbray 1928

Chapter V The Parish of S. Thomas the Martyr

Page 120 The Canal

"The Oxford Canal forms an important feature of the parish, for the terminus
of the stream and the wharves lie mostly within the parochial boundary. The
site was formerly part of the castle grounds and moat.

The canal was commenced in 1754, and finished about 1790. It extends to the
Coventry Canal at Longford, a distance of some ninety miles, where it
connects to other canals, and thus opens up communications with the Midlands
and the colliery districts. At one time, before the completion of the
canal, the £100 shares went down to £48, but later, in more prosperous days
of the undertaking, the same shares are said to have stood as high as £558
in value. The introduction of railways into the district traversed
naturally diminished the popularity and prosperity of the canal here, as
elsewhere; yet a large number of barges are still working, and occasionally
the canal near Hythe Bridge and the adjoining wharves present quite a busy
scene.

About 1838 the canal boatmen were provided with a 'floating chapel.' and
later with a more substantial building for the purposes of worship and
instruction in religious matters."

From my notes I have:

St.Pauls, Oxford Parish Register Transcripts, Baptisms

Ruby Constance HEBBORN dau of Andrew Charles and Sarah Eden, waiter
1 Canal Street, St.Barnabas

A member of this list is a HEBBORN expert, who might be able to assist if
this family is related to you.

Canal Street featured as a murder site in an episode of "Inspector Morse", a
television series starring John Thaw, who played the gloomy police detective
from the Oxford based books of Colin Dexter.

Regards,
Chris Rendle

P.S. Rosie EARL's mother Stella (née MATTHEWS), who is now 94 years old,
provided a snippet about her own mother, Alice Louisa MATTHEWS (née SIMMS):

"My mother fell into the canal as a child, getting on or off the ferry; the
ferryman hooked her out with a boathook as she went down for the third time.
She always warned us [her own children] of the dangers of water."