PA-OLD-CHESTER-L Archives

Archiver > PA-OLD-CHESTER > 2000-12 > 0978313507

From: "Sandra Ferguson" <>
Subject: Re: My Chester County surnames
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:45:07 -0500

This, from the HISTORY OF CHESTER COUNTY, Futhey and Cope...I find nothing
on the surname Papen. I'm sure there are probably some wills for these
folks...but, my CD ROM has picked to holidays to die, so could someone with
that CD look up these names, please?

Brownback's German Reformed Church was located in East Coventry. The
earliest record bears the date of 1743, and was in German. It is a a
request for a reformed preacher, and this doc. was signed by several, one
being Gerhardt Brambach.
Garret Brownback applied for naturalization in 1738. This was necessary
for all emigrants from any country other than GB and it's dependencies, and
was accommplished by special legislatiion of th colonial Assembly up to
aprox. 1740, when it was done by the Supreme court.

Brownback, Garret, or Gerhard Brumback, as it may have been in Germany, was
one of the earliest settlers of that nationality in Vincent; he was the
founder of Brownback;s Refor church, and the first taverh-keeper in that
part of the county. He took up 1000 acres of land, partly in Vincent and
partly in Coventry, on part of which the church was built at a later date.
He had 2 sons, Benjamin and Henry, and daughters wh became the wives of
Richard Custard, John Benner, Frederick Bingman, John Munshower and William
Psoey. When Garret settled here there was an Indian village about 50 or 60
perches from his home, and the natives rendered him services in return for
favors shown them. Garret died about 1758, and was succeeded at the tavern
by his son Benjamin, who continued in the business nearly 30 years. The
latter served durning the Revolution, HIs widow was robbed and murdered,
but the murderer was never discovered.
The Showalters and Pennypackers appear to have been Mennonites, and
members of the church that was built on the Schuylkill and standing from
1785. A Cjurch styood in the vicinity of Phoenizville, aned was located on
a ridge, near the residence of the heckel fam;ily....erection date unknown,
but there is a quote about it by S. W. Pennypacker, esq, of Philadelphia.
In 1772 another Mennonite church was built in Phoenizville, near Nutt's
road. In 1794 they erected an new church and Matthias Pennypacker was the
first preacher.He was suddeeded by John Buckwalter, Daniel Showalter, George
Hellerman, jacob Haleerman, Jesse Beiler, Joseph Halderman, John Showalter
and Israel Beitler.

I find several different spellings for whom, I imagine are
"your"Defrains"...
a Jacob De Fran signed, in May of 1756 a petition as a citizen of Vincent
Twp, concerning the French and Indian War.
There is a "Peter Defrahn, born 1733, died 1782, aged 49...headstone in
a Reformed Congregation of Vincent Twp...the cemetery is attached to the
church, and nearly all the early members are buried here.
The earliest inhabitants of Vincent were Germans, and the name Michael
Paul, and Bronbach appears on the list.
The following are some of the names and dates upon the Brownback
gravestones;
Frederick Bingaman, son of Frederick and grandson of Garret Brownback b.
1756 D. 1832
Henry Brownback, b. 1791 d. 1829(?) aged 36
Peter Brumback, grandson of Garret and an officer the the
Western Expedition b. 1764 D. 1834

Sandra
William Posey, son-in-law of Garret Brumback, d___ aged 62