PA-OLD-CHESTER-L Archives

Archiver > PA-OLD-CHESTER > 2006-03 > 1141220879

From: "Kathryn Payne" <>
Subject: Re: MORRISON, Hugh - -- James GRAHAM m Mary MILLER
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:47:59 -0500

Hi Anna,

I don't know much about John Miller, since I only received the will of John
Moore recently and haven't had much time to research him yet. I knew from
some earlier Whitehill research that Abigail Miller was the daughter of John
and Esther Miller of Pequea (Salisbury Twp.) in Lancaster County and that
she had married James Bradshaw Whitehill (b. 1/1/1725, d. 12/26/1757) and
that they had three children. She married John Culbertson 2/2/1764 at the
Forks of the Brandywine Presbyterian Church. John Culbertson names the
children in his will. They are Margaret, John and Jane Whitehill. Jane
married Col. Andrew Boyd, his father was Rev. Adam Boyd and Jane Craighead.
The Craighead information is freely available at the family history archive
at http://www.lib.byu.edu/fhc/

John Miller supposedly had three children: John, Mary and Abigail. There
may have been more, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Mary married James
Graham, Abigail married James Whitehill and John may have married Margaret
Craighead, daughter of Thomas and Margaret Craighead. A John Miller esq.
was an overseer of the will of Adam Boyd of Sadsbury in 1768. Abigail is
also mentioned in the will of James Whitehill (James' father was married to
1) Ann Bradshaw and 2) Rachal Cresswell of Oxford Twp, both are buried in
Pequea Cemetery) as his daughter in law Abigail Culbertson and he leaves her
5 shillings.

I do have a note in my notebook that reads: "John Culbertson of East Caln
Twp. Chester County applies for a warrant for 500 acres adjoining his own
land and the late John Miller's, James Thomson and Robert Whitehill in
Salisbury Twp., Lancaster County" It was undated and, I am ashamed to say
this, I can't find the original reference, but I know I have it.

I have found various references to John Miller in the Pequea, Salisbury and
East Caln area, but I haven't had time to follow up. I would really like to
find something on him, because if I do that I will probably find my Moore
also.

If I find anything more definitive, I will certainly post it, along with the
will of John Moore and Jame Whitehill. I haven't found one for John Miller
yet, but I don't think on exists. I know this isn't helpful, but as I said,
I've only just started.

By the way, do you know who Michael Graham is who married Elizabeth Smith
and is he related to the rest of the Graham's in W. Nantmeal?

Kathryn