PA-WELSH-EARLY-L Archives

Archiver > PA-WELSH-EARLY > 2000-10 > 0971196710

From: "Sandra Ferguson" <>
Subject: [P-W-E] Ellis, Hugh, Morris, Edwards
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:51:50 -0400

I found a few facts for you; Cadwalader Ellis was the constable for the
township of Goshen, in 1704, and is included on the 1st tax list for Goshen,
in 1715...one of only 20 names.
In 1736, a new meeting huse was erected in Goshen, and Cadwalader was
listed as one of the early members of this meeting.
Humphrey ellis was on the taxlist in 1753, for East town...
An earlier Humphrey is listed on the taxable list for Haverford, i 1693.
This list also contains an Ellis Ellis, perhaps a relative? Humphrey also
appears on the taxist list of Haverford, for 1715.
Alexander Edwards arrived from Prescoe, in Lancashire, as a servant to
Griffith Owen and his wife Sarah. Alexander was bound for 3 years. They
arrived between 1682 and 1688.
I am including the wills that I find, mentioning the names you give in
your email. If there is nothing for some of the names it is because the
name does not appear on any wills for Chester, Delaware and Philadelphia.
As you will note, the majority of these wills, that I'm sure pertain to
your family, are from Philadelphia co.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

February 3, 1729 March 1, 1730
ELLIS, CADWALADER
Children: Mary, Jane and Robert.
Ex. Humphrey Ellis. Caernarvon Twp.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

ELLIS, HUMPHREY. Haverford.
September 8, 1731. March 17, 1741/2. B. 106.
To sons Humphrey and Jeremiah 10 shillings each. To daughter Rachel 10
shillings. To daughter Eleanor £5. To granddaughters Perthiana and
Sarah 5 shillings each. Remainder inc land and plantation to son
Subilynus and daughters Margaret and Mary subject to maintenance of
wife Jane during life. Executors: sons Subilnus and Jeremiah.
Witnesses: Amos Lewis, Enoch Lewis, Thos. Vaughan.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

ELLIS, MARGARET. Haverford. Spinster.
July 25, 1754. August 16, 1754. C. 495.
To my brother Humphrey Ellis, 2 shillings 6. To brother Sublimus Ellis
£4 which he owes me and £6. To my sister Rachel Kerk a gown. To
nephew Thomas Ellis £3 and Bible. To nephew David Ellis £1.10. To
nephew Jesse Ellis £1.5. To nephew Jonathan Ellis £1.5. Remainder to
brother Jeremiah Ellis and sister Mary Kerk, who are also Executors.
Test signed. Wit: Thomas Vaughn, John Vaughan, William Lewis.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

ELLIS, HUMPHREY, fuller, Haverford Twp.
September 25, 1793 - November 21, 1793.
Wife Mary to have all goods belonging to her before we were married
also interest of estate toward bringing up and educating my children
until they come of age, daughter Elizabeth eighteen years and son Isaac,
twenty one. Son to be put to some useful trade. When of age 1/3 of
estate to daughter and 2/3 to son, they to pay wife £10 yearly. Should
children die, wife to have one half and the other half to children of
his brothers Isaac, William and Amos and sister Elizabeth.
Exrs: Sd. wife and brother Amos.
Wits: John DANIEL and Jacob HUMPHREYS. #56.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

THOMAS, WILLIAM. Radnor. Planter.
July 18, 1689. September 4, 1689. A. 152.
Estate to wife Anne who is sole Executrix, with remainder to William
Thomas, eldest son of my brother John Thomas, if he will come to this
country. Otherwise, the property is to be sold and the proceeds
equally divided between the children of my brother and of my sister
whose name is not given. Legacies to cozen Rees Petter, Ellis Ellis,
Humphrey Ellis, David Lawrence, Kathrine Morgan, Ellis Pugh, Evan Harry,
Hugh Harry and Daniell Harry. "I give to Owen Morgan one sow and his
son to be released after my departure and, if my wife shall depart
before the time of his daughter be over, she also May be then
released." My brother-in-law David Davies and sister-in-law Kathrine
Davies. Overseers: David Lawrence, Rees Petter, David Evan, John
Humphrey. Witnesses: Philip Evan, John Humphrey.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

ELLIS, HUMPHREY. Whifpain, County of Philadelphia. Weaver.
November 3, 1747. May 13, 1748. G.264.
Wife: Sage. Children: Isaac, Ellis and William. Exec: Isaac
Ellis. Witnesses: Aaron Meredith, John Rees and John Bull.
Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

LEWIS, CADWALLADER. Phila. Co.
September 4, 1693. October 28, 1693. A. 248.
Nuncupative will. Estate to his natural sister Mary Thomas. Legacies
to the wife (name not given) of Owen Foulke; the poor children (names
not given) that live at Griffith Jones' house, and to Robert Ellis.
[The original will is missing.]
Witnesses: Robert Owen, Robert Jones, Thomas Andrew (?).

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

PUGH, WILLIAM. Radnor, Chester Co. Yeoman.
June 19, 1705. June 19, 1708. C. 120.
Son Hugh Williams and his children William, Catherine, Susannah and
Elizabeth. Grandson Hugh Jones and Joseph Jones. Friends Richard and
Ann, brother and sister of John Roberts of Merioneth, and Jane daughter
of Robert Ellis. Witnesses: Daniel Harry, Susanna Williams and William
Davies.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

ROBERTS, ELLIS. Gwynedd, Philadelphia County. Labourer.
August 18, 1716. October 1, 1716. D. 58.
Father Robert Ellis. Sister Catherine and her son John. Churches
spoken of at Philadelphia, Oxford and Radnor. Mr. Tolbet, the priest
at Philadelphia for service at his burial. Uncle Robert David of
Merion; Uncle Edward Rees of Merion; Humphrey Bate; Ellis Pugh; Evan
Ellis; Edward Thomas of Merion; Rowland Hugh; Thomas Foulk; Cadder Evan
Pugh; Thomas David; Hugh Griffith; Evan Roberts; Robert Humphrey's wife
whose name is not given; John Humphrey; Ellis Lewis; Humphrey Jones;
Elizabeth Pugh; Gaynor Row; Hugh Jones. Executors: Friends Ellis Pugh
and Evan Ellis. Witnesses: Edward Foulke, Ellis Hughe and Hugh
Foulke.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

CLAYPOOLE, ABRAHAM. City of Philadelphia. Merchant. July 4, 1750.
March 9, 1750. J.370
Mother: Deborah. Friends: John Swift, Dr. John Kearsley, Junr.,
Elizabeth Redman, Mary Parker, Robert Ellis, Junr., Samuel Mifflin,
Thomas Cross, James Wright, Judah Foulke, Elizabeth Booth. Cousins:
George and James Claypoole, Abraham Falconer. Library Company of
Philadelphia. Exec: Deborah Claypoole, William Coleman, John Swift.
Witnesses: Isaac Griffitts, Hugh Forbes.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

ELLIS, EVAN. Gwynead, Co. of Philadelphia. August 24, 1761.
September 24, 1761. M.190.
Sisters: Margaret, Jane, Elinor (Jones) and Douce (Williams).
Nephews: Evan Jones and Evan Williams (of Wales), Humphrey Jones.
Nieces: Jane (daughter of John Humphry of Wales) and Margaret
(daughter of sister Jane, surname not given). Overseers: Amos
Griffith, Robert Ellis, David Pugh. Exec: Humphrey Jones.
Witnesses: Rowland Edwards, John Davis, Evan Jones.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

JUNKIN, JOHN. Easttown.
April 5, 1788. June 12, 1788.
To my mother Margaret my plantation whereon I now dwell, containing by
estimate, 100 acres as the same was devised to me by my father Benjamin
Junkin, during her widowhood, subject to a yearly payment of £6 to my
brother David Junkin, and at her decease, I give that part of the tract
lying west of the Darby road, containing by estimate, 70 acres, to my
sister Mary, wife of Israel Moore, during life, and at her death to her
daughter Margaret and such other children as May be born to her. To
Benjamin, son of my brother Samuel Junkin, £20 at 21. To sister Susanna,
wife of Richard Morris, remainder of plantation lying east of Darby
Road containing 30 acres, subject to payment of 20 shillings yearly to
brother David Junkin. To sister Ann, wife of James Parkison, £5. To
brother Samuel £3.
Executor: Friend Morris Morris.
Wit: Richard Harris, William Hunter, James Reed.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

MORRIS, RICHARD. Easttown. June 6, 1794. Adm. to Morris Morris.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

MORRIS, RICHARD. Whitpin, Philadelphia County. Yeoman.
February 1, 1736. September 19, 1737. F.49.
Child: Elizabeth (wife of Joshua Dickinson). Exec: Joshua and
Elizabeth Dickinson.
Witnesses: William Robinson, Edward Rees (his mark) and Ellis Ellis
(his mark).

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

DICKINSON, JOSHUA. Whitpain, Co. of Philadelphia. Yeoman. April 20,
1752/3. May 6, 1752. J.539.
Wife: Elizabeth. Children: Mary Richards, Joseph, Benjamin, Joshua,
Cadwalader, Jonathan and David. Father-in-Law: Richard Morris. Exec:
Elizabeth and Joseph Dickinson. Trustees and Guardians: Joseph Jones,
Job Pugh, Rowland Evans.
Witnesses: Jno. Roberts, John Bell, Rowd. Evans.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

EDWARDS, ALEXANDER, SR. Montgomery, Philadelphia. County. Yeoman.
March 9, 1712. December 17, 1712. C. 298.
Sons Edward, Alexander, and their children whose names are not given,
and Thomas. Daughters Margaret, Martha and Bridget and the daughters
(names not given) of the last two. Grandsons James James, Griffith
Miles, Joseph Todd and Alexander son of son Alexander Edwards.
Executors: Wife Katherine and son-in-law Griffith Miles.
Overseers: Cadwalader ap Evans, William John, Owen ap Evan and John
William, all of Gwynedd, yeomen.
Witnesses: Thomas Jones, Robert Jones and Edward George.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

MARSHALL, WILLIAM. Bybury. Co. of Phila. Yeoman.
February 16, 1764. March 2, 1764.
Wife: Sarah. Children: Thomas, Ann Edwards, Elizabeth Barrow, Margret
Vanhorn. Son in law: Alexander Edwards. Grandchildren: Marshall and
Enoch Edwards, Silas and William Baldwin, William and Gabriel Vanhorn.
Execs.: Thomas Marshall, Alexander Edwards. Witnesses: Michael Herman,
Ann Heaton, Robert Heaton. (N:109)

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

EDWARDS, MARY. Oxford. Phila. Co. Widow.
May 27, 1762. October 4, 1771.
Children: Anne Finney, Rachel. Son in law: Richard Finney.
Grandchildren: Jesse and Alexander Edwards. Baptist Meeting at
Pennyback. Execs.: Thomas Nedrow, Leonard Shalcross. Witnesses: [two
signatures in German], Christ Lehman. (P:143)

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

EDWARDS, ALEXANDER, ESQ. Lower Dublin, Co. of Phila.
April 22, 1777. May 27, 1777. R.44.
Wife: Elizabeth. Children: Marshall, Ann, Margaret, Enoch, Evan. Step
Daughter: Mary Morgan. Niece: Rachel Comly. Baptist Church in Lower
Dublin. Exec: Marshall Edwards. Trustee: Rev. Samuel Jones.
Wit: Thomas Duffield, Abraham Duffield, John Watts.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

EDWARDS, ALEXANDER. Oxford, Co. of Phila. Farmer.
7 mo. 2, 1781. September 15, 1781. S.15.
Wife and Exec: Mary Edwards.
Wit: Benjamin Love, Jonathan Kirkner.

Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1834

EDWARDS, ENOCH. Phila. Co.
December 31, 1801. July 14, 1802. Y.701.
Wife: Frances. Sisters: Ann Barber, Margaret Mount. Nephews:
Alexander Edwards, Cadwalader Enoch Edwards. To Son of Nephew Morgan
Edwards. To Mary Clarkson. To Man, Jess. To Nicholas Biddle, John B.
Prevost. To the Baptist Church in Lower Dublin. To Nephews and Nieces,
Children of Brother Evan, Children of Sister Margaret Mount, Children
of Wife's Sisters Elizabeth Salter and Ann McMurtrie. Brother-in-Law:
George Gordon. Exec: Wife Frances Edwards, William McMurtrie, Charles
Biddle, James C. Fisher, James Gillingham.
Wit: Abm. Duffield, John Ruan, Thos. W. Duffield.
1st Codicil: Signed March 31, 1802.
Annulling Bequests to Sisters Ann Barber and Margaret Mount. To John
Ruan. To Relation Rachel Comly. To Old Servant Priscilla Statts.
Wit: Jesse Waln, Jno. Salter.
2nd Codicil: Signed April 16, 1802.
Instructing Execs.
Wit: Alexr. Martin, Abm. Duffield, Thos. W. Duffield.

.