PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1997-05 > 0863847651

From: MRS CAROL M BATTIN< >
Subject: [PAALLEGH-L] 1870's - Children's Deaths - Why?
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 00:40:51, -0500

While reading a new cemetery record that was so graciously
provided for me by Jerry Reiner of Pgh.
I noticed that the family recorded lost two children within months of
each other in the year 1871. I also recalled that within that same
family group a little two year old girl died in 1875. I realize that
the mortality rate was much lower for children back then but I
wondered if there was some kind of an illness or epidemic that might
have caused more deaths than usual.

I think it would be interesting if we could all share the
reasons that our ancestors died over the years so that we might be
able to trace a pattern to the causes for deaths that occurred in
Allegheny Co.

I have several death records that I got from the city/county bldg.
In January 1885 the causes of death that were prominent were
diptheria, typhoid fever, and pneumonia.

I hope this message doesn't sound too morbid. As a mother I was
just touched by the deaths of
my ancestors' children, one being my grandmother's little sister, and
wondered about the sorrows that
saddened them and shaped their lives.

____
Carol in WV
Searching for Hastings, Tencate, Roy, Stewart, Branyan, Donley - Pgh
and Allegheny City, PA

Tencate and Calloway - Devon, Dorset and
Channel Islands

This thread: