PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1997-05 > 0863863642

From: <>
Subject: [PAALLEGH-L] Mount Pleasant
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 06:07:22 -0400 (EDT)

I am descended from Mathew McGREGOR, who lived in Allegheny County in
the early 1800's. Mathew was married to Mary Walker, Daughter of Gabriel
WALKER.
According to a copy of Mathew's will, obtained from the Carnegie Library
of Pittsburgh, in 1812, he owned a farm in Allegheny County called Mt.
Pleasant. I recieved a description of the farm (listed below) from Johanna
Myatt as a result of a look-up request. I showed this description to a
friend, who once lived in Pittsburgh, and he indicated that this area would
not be a likely place for a farm due to the rocky terrain.
I am quite curious about this location, and intend to visit the
Pittsburgh area soon, but I am hoping someone can provide some insight in
regard to this area and the type of farming that occured during this era.
Also, I read a description of a farm in the same area called Mt.
Pleasant which was owned by the McDONALD family. Is this a coincidence, or
is there some connection?

"The property adjoins the property of Wm. Ewing (originally Gabriel and
Isaac Walker), Nathan Greer, Benjamin Allen-Assee (?assignee) Enoch Rose,
Robert Cunningham, William Walker, and James Ewing. It is just south of
Montours Run, north of Robinsons Run and west of Chartiers Creek. It
appears that a smaller unnamed run flows through the property into Montours
Run. It is also just above the Washington County line."

I live in Buffalo, NY, and one of my greatest pleasures is visiting
Pittsburgh Pa. for research etc. Unfortunatly, due to family and job
commitments, I cannot do this very often, but this forum is the next best
thing.

Thanks,

Russ McGregor

This thread: