PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1997-05 > 0863873666

From: <>
Subject: Re: [PAALLEGH-L] Mount Pleasant
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 08:54:26 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Russ:

On your trip to Pgh., be sure to go to the Courthouse on Grant St. to check
for a deed transaction with your ancestor as the grantee (buyer) during the
time frame in question. Check out the plat maps, too...looking for the names
of the persons listed in the property description. Maybe someone else on the
list can tell you just where the land was located (township), which will make
it easier to locate in the Grantee/Grantor indexes.

As for whether the area in question was suitable for farming, I don't know
that part of Allegheny County well, but can say that there were many farms
carved out of hilly and rocky ground. All of New England, for example, was
filled with stony land....the labor to plow the fields was twice as
difficult!

Pittsburgh IS a nice place to visit....I miss it!

Laura Cutshall

This thread: