PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1997-05 > 0864402560

From: <>
Subject: [PAALLEGH-L] Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 11:49:20 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Edward:

Masters Way became Drummond St., but I don't see it on my modern map of
Pittsburgh. It looks like Masters Way formed part of what was known as
Market Square in downtown Pittsburgh (this from the 1911 atlas of the City of
Pittsburgh). If your ancestor owned a cafe there, he saw plenty of
business!!! Perhaps if you post a request to the list someone in Pittsburgh
would look up information on the cafe and your ancestor in the appropriate
Pittsburgh City Directories which are on microfilm at the Carnegie Library
Pennsylvania Room. This library has an extensive collection of Allegheny
County/Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania genealogical material...including the census
records. The Cafe was located in the First Ward after 1911, but could have
been in the 2nd or 3rd Ward prior to that time...Masters Way appears to be
split between the two Wards. You need this information to search the Census
records if you have access to them.

I've been gone from Pittsburgh many years, but still remember Market Square.
There is a place called the Oyster House which my grandfather frequented,
and there used to be a large food store called McCann's where pickles were
kept in open barrels on the floor. This area of Pittsburgh has a richly
textured history...Good luck with your research!

Herefordshire is absolutely beautiful!!! I remember the lambs, the green
fields, and the sunlight through the rain clouds! I used to visit friends
who lived at HR8 2DJ...now living in Cheltenham.

Best regards,
Laura Cutshall

This thread: