PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1997-05 > 0864424045

From: Dawn Myers <>
Subject: Re: [PAALLEGH-L] Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:47:25 -0700

I must have missed Edward's post about Masters Way so I don't know if
this will help. There is a McMasters Way that runs from 5th Ave passed
Forbes Avenue and then stops. It looks like if it continued it would go
right through PPG Place, which I think is were part of Market Square
was.
I haven't been there in a long time but I remember Market Square. That
was back in the "old days" when Jenkins Arcade (and Candy Rama!) were
still around.
Dawn

wrote:

> Dear Edward:
>
> Masters Way became Drummond St., but I don't see it on my modern map of
> Pittsburgh. It looks like Masters Way formed part of what was known as
> Market Square in downtown Pittsburgh (this from the 1911 atlas of the City of
> Pittsburgh). If your ancestor owned a cafe there, he saw plenty of
> business!!! Perhaps if you post a request to the list someone in Pittsburgh
> would look up information on the cafe and your ancestor in the appropriate
> Pittsburgh City Directories which are on microfilm at the Carnegie Library
> Pennsylvania Room. This library has an extensive collection of Allegheny
> County/Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania genealogical material...including the census
> records. The Cafe was located in the First Ward after 1911, but could have
> been in the 2nd or 3rd Ward prior to that time...Masters Way appears to be
> split between the two Wards. You need this information to search the Census
> records if you have access to them.
>
> I've been gone from Pittsburgh many years, but still remember Market Square.
> There is a place called the Oyster House which my grandfather frequented,
> and there used to be a large food store called McCann's where pickles were
> kept in open barrels on the floor. This area of Pittsburgh has a richly
> textured history...Good luck with your research!
>
> Herefordshire is absolutely beautiful!!! I remember the lambs, the green
> fields, and the sunlight through the rain clouds! I used to visit friends
> who lived at HR8 2DJ...now living in Cheltenham.
>
> Best regards,
> Laura Cutshall

This thread: