PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1998-01 > 0885960435

From: Soobyaya <>
Subject: [PAALLEGH-L] Gibson
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:07:15 EST

Hi, Everyone,

I am looking for information on the ancestors and/ or siblings of Anthony
Gibson of Fayette County, PA. Below is as far back as I have been able to
trace thus far. Heres an added twist. Harry A. Gibson, listed below, married
Rebecca Jane Howe of Tarentum, PA. Rebeccas father was Joseph E. Howe of
Tarentum. He married an Annie Margaret (or Margaret A. ) Gibson, b. Feb. 5,
1860 near Millertown, PA. d. Jan. 13, 1933, Hubbard, Trumbull Co. Ohio. Family
lore has it that these two Gibsons were not related, but we don t really know
for sure. If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Gibson came to Fayette County, PA with his wife as a pioneer. After
his death his wife moved to Braddock, PA, where she died in 1902 at age 89.
They had three children: George, below; Lester, killed in Civil War; Caroline.
George - b. 1842 in Fayette Co., PA Move to Braddock about 1865, where he
engaged in brick manufacture. He enlisted in the Union Army at Pittsburgh in
1861, in Company A, Sixty-third Regiment, Pennsylvania volunteer infantry. He
was later transferred to Company D, 105th Regiment, where he served until the
end of the war. He married Rebecca Dick of Pittsburgh on April 16, 1865. She
was born in 1847, a daughter of John and Rebecca ( Bart ) Dick. John came to
Braddock from Ireland, where he was a carpenter, and moved to Pittsburgh,
where he died in 1848. His wife was born in England and came to Pittsburgh as
a child. She died in 1850. Children of John and Rebeca Dick: Fannie Louisa;
Frank; and Rebecca, George Gibsons wife. George Gibson died February 23,
1908, age 65.
Children of George and Rebecca Gibson:
Annie - d. 1913; Frank D. - b. Jan. 21, 1868, Southside, Allegheny Co., PA.
m.1st - Jesse Frances Hurrell of Braddock. d. Feb. 1895 - m.2nd - Rosetta (
or Losetta ) McGeary of Butler Co. PA. d. Nov. 11, 1907; George P., of
Braddock; Harry A. ( my wifes grandfather ) b. Feb. 24, 1874, d. July 6,
1944, Hubbard, Ohio. m. Rebecca Jane Howe April 22, 1904.; Katie - m. Elder
Dodds; Twins who died in infancy.
Most of the preceding information was obtained from: Genealogical and
Personal History of Western Pennsylvania, Editor-in-Chief , John W. Jordan,
LL. D., Librarian of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania; Editor of
"Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography"; author of various historical
works., Volume II of III, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1915. pp.
1126-1129.

Thanks in advance.

Cy

This thread: