PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1998-05 > 0896219561

From: "Jim Owston" <>
Subject: Re: [PAALLEGH-L] Naturalization questions....
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:52:41 +0000

From: CHarris528 <>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:00:56 EDT
Subject: [PAALLEGH-L] Naturalization questions....
Hi:
I have obtained the naturalization papers for my great-grandfather, Patrick
Martin. He came to the US from Ireland. It states that he had to have
resided in the US for 5 years at least and declared his intention of
becoming a citizen of the US two years prior to application. However, the
sworn date of naturalization was 10/17/1893 and the date on the declaration of
intention document was 9/19/1882.

The rules then and now are the same. You must reside within the US
for a period of five continuous years. At least two years prior to
naturalization you have to file documents of intent to naturalize.
You need a sponsor who is an American citizen. The sponsor can be an
naturalized citizen. Original applications, intent and
naturalization do not need to occur within the same locality or
state. The only exemption to the five year provision was military
service in a US unit. An honorably discharged alien soldier can apply
immediately. The service waives the five year regulation.

Jim Owston
James (Jim) Martin Owston

This thread: