PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 1999-05 > 0927052429

From: alenkner <>
Subject: Re: [PAALLEGH-L] PA Delayed Birth Certificates
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:33:49 -0400

Therese,

According to a member of the staff of the Registrar of Wills in Washington Co.,
delayed birth registrations were caused by a need of people, whose birth had
never been recorded, to produce proof of their birth date. Since most people
didn't have a driver's license (and that wasn't really proof of anything in the
earliest days), the only proof of age would be to furnish evidence of school
attendance at an early age. Hence, in order to prove your age for, say, Social
Security, you would have to furnish school or church evidence (baptisms, school
registration) to the Registrar of Wills so that your birth could be registered,
late or delayed. My experience was limited, evidently, because the only thing I
received was the date of birth and parents names. Now, if you could find or
access the info USED for the Delayed Birth Certificate, I would imagine that it
could point you in the right direction if little was known of the person
registered, such as the school or church that would also contain records of
possible siblings. I have a feeling that you'll never find these records
because, once a person was registered officially, there would be little reason
to save the information. Only the Feds think that they should record everything
about anybody or anything. That's Uncle Big Brother for you, using your tax
money in the way they deem most efficient?

Al Lenkner