PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2004-01 > 1074831980

From: Al Lenkner <>
Subject: Re: [ALL] Immigrants from the Old Russian Empire
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:26:30 -0500

--=======40C3508=======

Vickie,

Without getting into a long discourse on history, there was a thing called
the Tri-Partition of Poland. Basically, over a period of 41 years
(according to Michener), Poland was divvied up by the Russians, Germans and
Austrians with each taking one third of Poland. Poland didn't exist as a
country from c. 1794 until after WWI when the Allies restore Poland to its
original borders. Your husband's gf stating birth in Poland or Russia
makes sense. Austria does not. The Austro-Hungarian Empire was very large
but it didn't stick its nose into Russia or Germany (which was a
federation, not really a country until 1861 or 1871, I forget which.).

Al

At 11:25 AM 1/22/2004, you wrote:

>my great grandmother listed on her naturalization papers that my great
>grandfather was from a town named Scorba-Olsayka, Russia. I would assume
>that because of the time period 1869/1872 - 1896 this would have been the
>old russian empire? I know that my great grandfather spoke polish/hungarian
>???? It was often told that he was from Warsaw but how does that fit in
>??? He immigrated to the US in 1896 - coming to western PA sometime around
>the 1900's where he met my great grandmother. I have never been able to
>figure out what town in "Russia" his place of birth might of been...any
>suggestions or ideas where to search?

---