PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2004-03 > 1079111970

From: "Bill Brewer" <>
Subject: Re: [ALL] Ingram family of Indiana Township
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:19:35 -0800

Diane, and any others that are interested...

You've summed up my information nicely, Diane, and saved me a rather long
and drawn out email I was constructing. You got it all very concisely, so
I've discarded mine.

One thing...I think I made a mistake when I identified the Arthur Ingraham
on board the ship "Thomas Gelston" from Belfast. The ship docked in
Philadelphia on 8 May 1817. Since Thomas Ingram, the presumed first son of
Arthur and Sarah Ingram (or Ingraham), was born 19 Oct 1817, it would be
impossible for Arthur to be his father if Arthur didn't arrive in the U.S.
until May 1817. Also, Arthur would not have satisfied the residency
requirements of the time in order to file his Naturalization papers on 10
Nov 1817 (a Declaration of Intent) if he had only arrived in May. It's
possible, of course, that he had previously lived in the U.S. and returned
to Ireland for a few months, but this seems to be reaching a bit.

I have found the name spelled both as Ingram and as Ingraham. My
great-grandmother, Lauretta Jane Ingraham, insisted that the name was
spelled "Ingraham." She was a daughter of William John Ingraham and his
wife, Mary Ann Silvey, and of course a granddaughter of Arthur Ingraham and
Sarah Stewart of Indiana Township. William John Ingraham married Mary Ann
Silvey of Sharpsburg, PA on 24 Jul 1851. They subsequently moved to Morgan
County, Ohio where Lauretta Jane was born on 25 Dec 1863. Later they moved
on to Calloway County, Missouri, then to Lyon County, Kansas where Lauretta
Jane married John Willard Brewer on 18 Jan 1888. The family, now minus
Lauretta Jane and two other daughters who married in Kansas, then moved on
to Monroe, Snohomish County, Washington where both William John and Mary Ann
died, he on 26 Oct 1903 and she on 1 Oct 1909.

An interesting, but obviously inaccurate family story concerns Arthur Ingram
Sr. According to this story, Arthur was a sea captain in Britain before
coming to the United States. He resided, in the U.S. in New York, during
which time he was also a sea captain...in both cases it is not specified
whether he was in the navy of the two countries, or a merchant sea captain.
During the Revolutionary War, again according to the story, he was captured
by the British and held captive for eleven years before escaping somehow,
and returning to the U.S., this time locating in Allegheny County, PA.

Now, this tale is obviously inaccurate, and perhaps totally false. Arthur's
census records and his tombstone establish a birth date sometime around
1778, making him far too young to have taken any part in the Revolutionary
War. However, it is a fact that between the end of the Revolutionary War
and the War of 1812
the British persistently stopped U.S. ships on the high seas and impressed
seamen they considered to be British citizens. This was a major cause of
the War of 1812. It is possible that Arthur Ingram, having been born in
Ireland, might have been taken by the British in this manner. There is also
a possibility that the family story confused our Revolutionary War with the
aborted Irish Revolution of 1798, and that Arthur was taken prisoner during
that conflict. It does seem that Arthur was unusually old in 1817 to have
fathered his first child, so maybe he was a captive for eleven years, or an
impressed seaman.

I will be happy to share any information I have with any interested parties.

Bill Brewer