PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2004-12 > 1103734464

From: "Louise Stanzione" <>
Subject: Re: [ALL] Help with reading census
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:54:25 -0500

Sonya,
As Marg and Kathi have already mentioned it does look like it is written as
Saxton on the 1880 detail image. Ancestry.com in their index correctly names
it Saxony.
With the info you again provide, I searched on the 1870 census. Once again,
it wasn't easy. I had to search on John no-last-name, West. Co, born:
Germany, then a second try using Saxony. There were results for both but
the Saxony was the key. He is indexed in 1870 as John Natvig. But the image
clearly is Nahrig. The wife is named, as are Christopher and a few other
children. They are the last family on p.17 and flow onto p.18 of
Westmoreland Co, Huntingdon Twp, Yohoghany P.O. John has a hash mark in col.
19 :citizenship. I'll send you the image off-list. I've done some searches
against the 1860, in PA, and all-US, but I've run out of time. You should
maybe try to search Westmoreland Co naturalizations for John's
applications,etc., if for nothing else but to rule out that county.
As for better copies than the images the listers have sent you, you can do a
number of things, especially since the hard part, finding them, has been
done for you by these "some kind souls" (SKS's):
- visit a Library which has either the microfilms, or has access to
AncestryPlus and print off the copies yourself. Perhaps there you can find
John on in-bound arrivals with AncestryPlus, pre-1860. Or in the Immigrant
Ships Transcribers Guild.
- go to the NARA website and order copies.
- subscribe to any of the on-line genealogy websites who offer census
images.