PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2006-09 > 1158621620

From: "Connie Burkett" <>
Subject: Re: [PAALLEGH] question on "institutions"
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:20:20 -0400

Jeannine,
Tuberculosis was highly contagious and confinement in an institution was done to
help contain the disease. There were several types of tuberculosis. Tuberculosis
of the lung was often called consumption or phthisis. Tuberculosis of the bones
and lymphatic glands was called struma or scrofula. Tuberculosis of the skin was
called lupus. Some of these names show up on the mortality schedules.

Connie