PAALLEGH-L ArchivesArchiver > PAALLEGH > 2007-04 > 1175698353
From: "Victoria Hospodar Valentine" <>
Subject: [ALL] Sturgeon Fire Dec. 28, 1907 McDonald PA Outlook
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:52:33 -0400
Fire At Sturgeon
Volunteer Firemen and Buckets Unable to Cope With Flames
A nickelodeon operated by LEWIS & VERSCHUEREN was responsible
for a disastrous fire at Sturgeon Christmas evening. Three tenement houses,
the nickelodeon and a building known as Belgian Hall were burned to the
ground while the residence of D. E. BLAIR was partially consumed before the
fire could be got under control by the force of volunteer firemen who were
compelled to fight the flames with water secured from the creek and wells.
The damage will amount to over $12,000.
About 7:30 Christmas evening the igniting of a film on the
moving picture apparatus set fire to the building. The room was well
crowded but the spectators escaped through the back entrance, the film
machine being located in a small room at the front.
The town has no fire protection and the flames had greatly
spread before volunteer fire fighters could organize. Water from wells and
creek availed little against the blaze. It was not until the five
structures with practically all their contents had been burned that the
flames were overcome.
One of the tenement houses was vacant. The remaining two were
occupied by negros. Belgium Hall is a building used by Belgium and French
societies. The residence of D. E. BLAIR which had one side and the roof
burned was the most valuable structure. Mr. BLAIR also owned the three
|[ALL] Sturgeon Fire Dec. 28, 1907 McDonald PA Outlook by "Victoria Hospodar Valentine" <>|