PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2007-04 > 1176563798

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [ALL] Curry History
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:16:38 -0400

? CURRY
The PETITION OF PRINCIPAL IN HABITANTS OF THE COUNTY OF WESTMORELAND
AND TOWN OF PITTSBURGH, APRIL 1781
To his excellancy Joseph Reed Esqr. And the Honorable the Executive Council
of the
State of Pennsylvania.
Broadheads invitation to dine: with marks of Contempt, while the forman was
reprobating him in terms of reproach.
Thus with arms in our hands, defending our natural rights, your Petitioners
unhappily find themselves under a Tyranny for more unsupportable, than
that which
they have successfully resisted , as the annexed despotick mandates and
authentick
documents will fully verify. But while many of your Petitioners feel the
effects of
Col. Broadheads oppressions, and more are alarmed at the terrors suspended
over
them, we all with concern anticipate the consequences. They excite emotions
in our
Breasts, which tho we cannot describe, it would ill become us to conceal.
For
corrupt and deprave as the country may be, from whence we and our ancestors
emigrated, military Tyranny there: is not yet countenances: and while such
a line of
conduct cannot but distress and alarm your Excellency and Council, we are
convinced
that it must be reprobated and met with a hearty and determined opposition
from
every virtuous Citizen of the United States, whose custom it has been, and
we hope
will be: to make those tremble who dare to attempt to make them miserable.
Feeling and thinking like Free men in the manner we do, silence would
become a
crime: for History as well as observation evinces the truth of this simple
position,
that to live by the will of one entails misery on all. Therefore by giving
you this
faithfull information, we humbly apprehend we are doing barely our duty as
citizens,
by rendering your Excellency and the Honorable the Executive Council all the
assistance in our power, to promote the great objects of your trust, the
Tranquility
of Government and welfare of the Governed.
ote:This petition goes on for another full page and a half and continues
in the
vein. The following list contains the Names of the Subscribers:
John Curry
Adam Curry (And others)
1783 PETERS TOWNSHIP
TAX LIST

NAMEACRES HORSES COWS SHEEP
SLAVES VALUE
Adam Curry 2 1

"LAND WARRANTEE ATLAS" SNOWDEN p.15
Joseph CURRY, 62 perches+ allowance, Surveyed April 17, 1840.

Patented May 18, 1840. H-43-142.
BALDWIN, p 17 (same land on Jefferson Twp. map)
Robert CURRY.Point Lookout 9 acres 80 perches & allowance. Warrant
March 9, 1815 to Joseph CURRY. H-21-397.
1800 [no CURRY/CURREY/CORRY/CARRY found in 1800 Mifflin Census]
1810 MIFFLIN CENSUS, Allegheny Co., Pa.
CURREY, Robt 2 males under 10, 1 m 26-45, 2 fem un 10 1 f
26-45.
1820 ALLEGHENY COUNTY CENSUS INDEX taken from WFT CD 314
CURREY, Daniel PITT TWP. 154
James PITT TWP. 143
John PGH. CTY WWA 005
Moses
Rachel
William
CURRY, David MIFFLIN TWP. 130
Dr. Joseph MIFFLIN TWP. 122
James ST. CLAIR TWP. 104
John MOON TWP. 080
1820 Census Index continued
CURRY, John ST. CLAIR TWP. 116
Samuel ST. CLAIR TWP. 110
1830 MIFFLIN TWP. CENSUS, ALLEGHENY CO., PA.
CURRY,Joseph
1 male under 5, 2 m 10-15, 1 m 40-50 page 250
2 females 5-10, 2 f
10-215, 1 f 30-40.
CURRY, Robt 1 m 15-20, 2 m 20-30, 1 m
50-60. page 246
1 f 10-15, 1 f 15-20, 1 f 50-60.
CURRY, Moses 2 m 15-20, 1 m 50-60
page 246
3 f 20-30, 1 f 50-60
1840 Jefferson/Mifflin Census Index, Allegheny Co., PA
CURRY, Mathew 1 male 30-40, 1 female under 5, 1 f 30-40.p. 132
Joseph p. 132
John F. p. 132
Robert p. 143
John p. 143
Robert R. p. 143
1840 CENSUS, JEFFERSON TWP.,
ALLEGHENY CO., PA. p.131
CURRY, Joseph 1 male
10-15, 1 m 20-30, 1 m 60-70. p.132
1 female
5-10, 1 f 10-15, 1 f 15-20, 1 f 40-50.
1 colored male 10-24.
CURRIES/CURRY, John F.1 male -5, 2 m 20-30. p.132
1 female -5, 1 f 20-30.

CURRY, Mathew 1 male 30-40.
p. 132
1 female under 5, 1 f 30-40.

1840 CENSUS, MIFFLIN TOWNSHIP p.142
CURRY, Robert 1 male 60-70.
1 female 50-60.
CURRY, John
1 male -5, 1 m 5-10, 1 m 20-30, 1 m 30-40.
1 female 20-30.
CURRY, Robert C. 1 male 20-30.
CURRY, Robert G. 1 male 5-10, 2 m 20-30.
1 female -5, 1 f 50-60.
1841 TAX LIST, UPPER ST. CLAIR
CURRY, James, farmer .35
CURRY, John, carpenter .50
CURRY Robert, cooper 1.71
1846 SNOWDEN TOWNSHIP, ALLEGHENY COUNTY, TAX RECORDS
Snowden Township was formed 5 Oct 1845 from portions of Upper St. Clair
and Jefferson
Townships, Allegheny County. Isaac KING was a tax collector for the
Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania in 1846 and the following assessments are contained in a small
ledger in
his own hand for the residents of Snowden Twp. Papers in the ledger
contain an Extract
from the "Act to Provide for the Reduction of the Public Debt," Approved
April 22,
1846. Several pages from the front part of the book appear to have been
either torn
out or removed or lost.Considering the paucity of tax records for any
portion of
Allegheny County during this period, this material can act as a partial
census of
residents of Snowden Twp. for the year 1846. This ledger is held in the
collection at
the Oliver Miller Homestead in South Park.

CURRY, Joseph or BARKLEY, Robert 19 acres land value $200.
CURRY, Joseph, M.D., 200 acres value $2700; 3 horses 4 cows, 14 shares
Monongahela & Coal
Hill Turnpike Road Company stock $350.
1850 CENSUS of SNOWDEN TOWNSHIP, ALLEGHENY CO., PA
Enumerated 11, Sept.1850 . JAMES B. GLENN
Dwelling. Family. Name of everyone in abode age/sex/color prof./occ. value
of real
estate owned. birthplace/ married within year/ attended school within
year/persons over
20 who cannot read or write/deaf,dumb,blind, mamed, idiotic, pauper or
convict.
Name occ. real-es. bn. md-sc-rd etc.
119-120 499-246
CURRY, Joseph 72 m M.S.?[D?] 11,000 PA
CURRY, Jane 56 f PA
CURRY, Isabella 18 f " in school
BRYCE, Gide? 24 f Black PA
LAFFERTY, Jane 11 f "

1850 UNITED STATES CENSUS of BALDIN TOWNSHIP
ALLEGHENY CO., PA. NATIONAL ARCHIVES, MICROFILM ROLL Roll 747
by Edwin S. HODGE
294-294
CURRY, John F. 39 m w X Farmer 6250 PA
Alvina Ann 34 f w
Joseph A. 13 m w
Jane E. 11 f w
John F. 6 m w
Lucyann 2 f w
JOHNSTON, John 35 m w X Laborer PA
incomplete -must finish loading

1850 JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, ALLEGHENY CO., PA., CENSUS
Enumerated 2nd September, 1850 by John T. Foster
House-family page 108
name age sex/col occupation real est. place
87-87
CURRY, E.D. 36 m w farmer 4400 PA
Nancy 68 f w MD
MOONEY, John 18 m w farmer PA
TAYLOR, McKnight 9 m w
1860 BALDWIN, P.O. SURGEONs HALL p.35
295-
CURRY, John F. 49 m 1200 1350 PA
Elvira 43 f
Alfred 22 m PA
Jane E. 20 f
John F. 16 m
Lucille 11 f
Margaret 8 f
Nathan 8/12 m
1860 JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, ALLEGHENY CO., PA. CENSUS,
P.O. HOPE CHURCH, 5th June 1860 taken by James McRoberts
32-32
McKEE, Elizabeth 40 F w housework 3000 500 PA
William L.13 m w
in school
CURRY, Nancy J. 16 f w in school
-
1860 CENSUS SCHEDULE 1. SNOWDEN TOWNSHIP, ALLEGHENY CO., PA.
Enumerated 1st to 16th of June 1860 by L.M C. LARIMER Post Office: Library
195-185
CURRY, William32 m w Farmer5,000 875PA
L. 31 f w
Joseph 5 m w
Letista 4 f w
Anna 3 f w
William5/12 m w
FISHER, Julias25 m w LaborerGermany
DAVIS, Dinah60 f w PA

197-187
CURRY, Joseph82 m w Physician5,000 400PA
Jane66 f w
HUCHISON, Robt27 m w Farmer500 Scotland
Isabelle28 f wPA
Joseph4/12 m w
JOHNSTON, Ellis13 m m/
LAFFERTY, Jane17 f w
1870 PENNA. CENSUS SCHEDULE, ALLEGHENY CO., SNOWDEN TWP.
1st Day of August 1870 by Wm Cartwright, Asst Marshall
Post Office Green Tree
224-205
CURRY, Jane 76 w f Keep. hse 1000 500 PA
HUTCHINSON, Robert 36 m w Farm laborer 820 Scotland
" Belle 38 f w Keeping hse PA
" Joseph 10 m w "
" Jane 9 f w "
" Sarah 5 f w "
229-208
CURRY. Joseph 32 m w Farmer 4000 200 PA
" Mary 25 f w Keeping house "
" Laura 4 f w "
-
1870 ALLEGHENY CO., PA. CENSUS, ALLEGHENY CO., JEFFERSON TWP.
P.O. SURGEONS HALL, ENUM. BY H.R. Wightman 15th July 1870 1292 p. 218
House family name age sex col.occup. Real est. place born schooling
32-34
CURRY, E.D. 46 m w Farmer 21400 1200 PA
Jane 68 f w Keeping Hse
William 18 m w Working on farmin school
Robert 16 m w in school
Lemuel 14 m w in school
Ebenezer 12 m w At home in school
Anna 7 f w
Joseph 7 m w
Eliza 4 f w
McGOWEN, Eliza 44 f w House Keeper

1870 UNION TWP., WASHINGTON CO., PA.
202-220
CURRY, Joseph M. 56 Merchant Pennsylvania
- Mary J. 44 Keeping House "
- J. Rolan 21 Miller "
- William H. 19 Clerk in Store"
- Edward 1 " " ""
- George 15"
- Francis 12 (Male) "
- Mary J. 10"
- Lilly 6"
- Charles 3"
CAMPBELL, Mary 78"

PENNA., CENSUS 1870 WEST
CURRY, Jane 76 f w PA Alleg. Snowden 1299-448
" Joseph m w PA " " 1292-448

1880 PENNA., ALLEGHENY CO., SNOWDEN TOWNSHIP CENSUS
taken June 1, 1880 by T.M. Walker Starts page 287 A
Supervisor district, Enumeration dist. 87
House/Family Col.sex age rel.mar.Occupation n parents bn
102-104
DONALDSON, Henry w m 52 s Farmer PA PA PA
" Elizabeth w f 85 w mother kp hse ? " "
FLAN? Keith w m 27 s servant IRE OH IRE
CURRY, Samuel w m 23 s serv. works on farm PA PA PA
170-176
CURRY, Edward G. w m 28 m Farmer PA PA PA
P. Francis w f 26 m wife Keeps house PA PA PA
Joseph Paul w m 5 s son at home PA PA PA
Charles Walter w m 1 s son at home PA PA PA
(younger than Jane)
1880 JEFFERSON TWP. SUPR.9 ENUM. 64, P. 335
Taken 2 June 1880 by Andrew B. HUFFMAN
9-9
SICKMAN, Georgew m 26 m Farmer typhoid fever PA PA PA
Anne w f 18 wife
Samuelw m 23 cous s Works on Farm
CURRY, Joseph w m 20 b/law s
50-51
CURRY, Williamw m 28 m PA PA PA
Emmaw f 20
Ebenezerw m 22 brother
Josephw m 16 brother
Elizabeth w
f 14 sister at school
50-52
CURRY, Lemuelw m 24 m SawyerPA PA PA
Maryw f 24
wife Keeping house

139
CURRY, R.M. w m 26 m FarmerPA PA PA
Nannie J. w f 25 wife m
Alvin E.w m 4 son
Ellen B.w f ? dau
153-158
CURRY, Robert w m 26 m Farmer PA
PA PA
Nancy w f
25 keeps house pa
Alvin w m 4 son
FOSTER, A.D. w m 61 Blacksmith
Sarah wife w f 55
A.M. son w m 25 works coal mine

[1880 census incomplete in files as of May 22, 1997]

1900 PENNA., CENSUS SCHEDULE ALLEGHENY CO., SNOWDEN TWP. LIBRARY
Enumerated June 2, 1900 by John James Supr Dist 18 enumertion dist 499

139-143
CURRY, John F. h w m May 1844 56 m 20 PA PA PA farmer O yyy FF 80
" Rachel H. w w f ? 1854 46 m 20 PA PA PA 2 children, 2 living
" James H. s w m Jan 1882 18 s " " " farmer
" Elliza E. d w f Dec 1883 16 s " " " at school

[1900 census incomplete in files as of May 22,1997]

1900 JEFFERSON TWP., ALLEGHENY CO., PA. CENSUS
Taken by William Michey Sheet 15
CURRY,
Sheet 16
CURRY, Milo

[1910 & 1920 still in progress, no Curry listed yet-May 22,1997]

1910 PENNA., CENSUS, ALLEGHENY CO., SNOWDEN TOWNSHIP,
taken 15t April 1910 by H.L. Snyder Supr. dist. 23 Enum. dist. 230
sheet
CURRY, John F. head m w 65 m1 30 PA PA PA eng farmer oa _yy OFF
[near end -to finish reading]
=
"PITTSBURG GAZETTE ABSTRACTS 1812-1816" p. 417
For Sale - A ten acre lot of land , situate on the upper
Brownsville Rd., 8 miles from the City of Pittsburg, on which a two story
log house... now occupied by John GRAHAM, (other land in Erie Co., Mercer
Co., & Slippery Rock Twp., advertised) Enquire of the subscriber near the
first described lot. /s/ Joseph CURRY Dec. 18, 1816.

P. 49 r
REGIMENTAL ORDERS- Doctor BRUNOT is replacing Dr.Curry. /s/ Joel FERREE
Lt. col. Aug. 12, 1812.

p. 91 Robert HAYS Jr. vs Rob. CURRY, List of cause for Trial (court case)
April 1813.

p. 200 Oliver GRANT vs Robert CURRY
p. 200 Rob. ALEXANDER'S Ext'rs vs Jas GLENN Ex'trs
TELEPHONE DIRECTORY
March 1911 LIBRARY, PA
Curry, Eben Finleyville, Pa. Res. 14-J
Curry, J.R. Res. Gastonville, Pa. 33-r-3
Curry, R.M. Res. Gill Hall, Pa. 26-w
THE ELIZABETH HERALD
NOTICES of MARRIAGES and DEATHS 1874 through 1885
Elizabeth J. Wall, compiler WSN West Side News
CURRY
Married (no date given) at residence of Brides father by Rev. W.O.
CAMPBELL, Edward BLACK and Sadie CURRY, all of Mon. City
(9 Oct. 75)
Married Thursday Mar. 21, 1877, by Rev. C.M. WESTLAKE, Rachel CURRY and
Samuel GILLAND, (23 Mar. 77 West Side News)

Married Tues. July 3, 1878, at Baptist pars. by Rev. J.K. Cramer, Eliza
A. CURRY and Charles BOUREGIN, both of Sewickly Twp. Westmoreland Co., (5
July 78)
Married Nov. 15, 1883, Joseph CURRY and Susan STEWART, both of Jeff. Twp.
(23 Nov. 83 West Elizabeth News)

Died yesterday, (21 Aug.) a little son of John CURRY of Elizabeth and
Jennie WALTON. (22 Aug. 84 DH- Doings at Home)

Married Wed. Apr. 29,1 1885, at the residence of the brides parents, Mr.
& Mrs. John WALTON, Walton Station by Rev. J.K. CRAMER, John CURRY of
Elizabeth & Jennie WALTON (1 May 85 West Elizabeth news)

DEATH NOTICES from Grandmothers Scrap Book (in possession of Joy
Marquis)
CURRY- On ?Thursday, April 11, 1936, at 1:20 A.M. William Curry, in his
84th year, husband of Emma Bedell Curry, Funeral Services at his late
home, Gill Hall, Jefferson Township. On Saturday. April 13 at 2:30 P.M.
Friends invited. Please omit flowers.
(McKeesport, (Pa.0 and Kansas City (Mo.) Papers please copy.

CURRY- On January 31, at 11 p.m. George A. Curry, age 81 years. Funeral
services at his home at Gastonville, Washington County, Wednesday
afternoon at 2:30 oclock. Interment Mingo Cemetery.

JAMES CHAPEL CEMETERY
GILL HALL-FINLEYVILLE RD. WASHINGTON CO., PA.
Reading: c1980
CURRY, Alice E. 1880-Sept. 1930 (related to Lawrence Denniston)NN
" J. Roland 1848-1929 NN
" Frances L. 1847-1917 NN
" Maude M. 1875-1913 NN
" Edith W. 1877-1922 NN
CURRY, Robert Samuel July 14, 1921-Mar. 15, 1980 AF NNW
(buried in Lawson plot)

JEFFERSON UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH CEMETERY RECORDS
Dan Ryerson, Caretaker May 17, 1996.
CURRY, Emma 1860-1936
" infant ? -May 1920 age 10 days
" infant ? - ? age 1 day
" M. Bruce 11/? /88-6/22/67 age 78
" Nannie J., 1854-1909
" Robert Milo 1853-1930
" William 1851-1915
" Wilse B. Jr., 7/25/1915-2/23/71 age 88
SHEPLER (SHEPLAR) Florence Patterson
D.O.D. Sept.30,1887 D.O.B. 1853
P.O. Burial: Jefferson Union Cemetery
Range #1, Lot #5, Grave #____(blank)
Survivors:Daughter, Ethel Shepler, 304 E. Green St. Connelsville
Another daughter in "West" (Ruth SPHORER) 4/23/57
F.P. Mother of Molly S. Curry ?
Ethel -1st cousin of Laura Curry Phillips
Florence Patterson Shepler
Undertaker- Florence
Father of Ethel and son of John & Charlotte Stewart
Bro. of Mary Catherine (Milly) Shepler Curry
Uncle of Laura Curry Phillips (James)
Lemuel Florence Patterson Curry
John Curry
Earl Curry
An Uncle of Ruth Phillips Sphorer

Curry Phillips
PETERS CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
Compiled by Charles E. and Gwen Bender"
PHILIPS, James H. b. 1878 d. 1971. PFR= son of W.T. & Olivia.
PHILIPS, Laura C. b. 1880 d. 1936. PFR= wife of James H.,
maiden name CURRY.
MINGO CEMETERY
Copied May 27, 1961 by Mr.& Mrs. Walter Huffman of Monongahela, Pa.
CURRY, Robert Campbell, s/o J.M & M.J. Curry 7 July 1818, 15mos 8 dy.
CURRY, Joseph MOORE 24 July 1813 7 Nov. 1896 "
Mary Jane 12 June 1826 14 Dec, 1870
" George A. 1855 - 1937
" Mary J. 1860 - 1941
" William H. 1850 - 1934
" R. Charles 1867 - 1929
GAMBLE, William Jackson, M.D. 1852 - 1908
" Lillie B. (Curry) 1864 - 1944
- WASHINGTON CO., PA WILL INDEX to 1900

CURRY, Deborah 12-200-1886
John 8-345-1861