PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2007-04 > 1176580312

From: Helen Owens <>
Subject: [ALL] Mergers
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:51:52 -0500

Fran,
That is the one I am referring to. Did you get the history of St. Joe'sI
tried to attach? In 1992 the then Bishop, Donarld Wuerl, merged (combined)
parishes all over the diocese due to the decreasing catholic population in
the city/county. In the southern section of the city he created two "new"
parishes out of about 10 parishes. Prince of Peace and St. John Vianney. He
combined, St. George, St. Henry, St. Canice and St. Joseph Parishes into
St. John Vianney. He chose former St. George Church to house the new
parish. Masses on Sunday and holidays were continue in each former church,
but decreased in number over the years as the parish populations went down.
Finally masses were discontinued at all of the churches (about 2005)
with the exception of old St. George now St. John Vianney. Some of the
parish churches, plus buildings have already been sold.
HELEN

Fran wrote:

>> wrote:
>> -----There was a history of St. Joseph Church publish a long time ago.
>> I will
>> look to see if I have anything. The orginal church burned down in
>> 1950-51
>> I think. It was rebuilt. It was part of the merged church system. They
>> stopped having Sunday mass there in the last few years-----
>>
>> Helen, are you here referencing the St. Joseph Church on Ormsby Street
>> (Avenue?) in Mt. Oliver? The church no longer celebrates mass?
>>
>> TIA
>> Fran

This thread: