PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2008-01 > 1201014174

From: Carol Botteron <>
Subject: Re: [ALL] Civil War Research
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:02:54 -0500

>From: "JoAnn" <>
>
>My great grandfather, James Armstrong SUMMERILL (or Summerhill)
>supposedly served the Union as a drummer. He was born in 1851 so was
>quite young. He supposedly was a member of the GAR. He lived in the
>New Texas area of Plum Creek Twp. His father, James S. Summerill had
>a wagon shop at what is now Plum Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery.
>Does anyone know what regiment he might have served in from this
>area of Plum Twp., Allegheny County, PA?

You might check the Civil War Units File, which is on the American
Civil War Homepage at http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/warweb.html
under the heading of Rosters & Regimental Histories.

There are some general listings for Pennsylvania that might help
you figure out which unit he was most likely in. For many of the
regiments there are volunteer contacts listed, who can help you
with his roster listing etc.

A history of the county or town, especially one written in the late
1800s, would likely list the local soldiers.

Carol B.

This thread: