PAALLEGH-L Archives

Archiver > PAALLEGH > 2011-05 > 1305722068

Subject: [ALL] St. Michael and St Adalbert Cemeteries
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 08:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

For Jeannine and Donna and all Allegheny searchers

I have a made a complete list of headstones for the two cemeteries above.

The address for the office of both is
Prince of Peace
81 S. 13th St.
Pgh Pa 15203.

The above said:

Be aware that there have been mud slides over the 100 plus years that St.
Michael Cemetery has been in existence. My gg grandfather and two babies
went with one around 1900. They estimated they lost about 100 graves with
that one The headstones you found may have been just surfaced with all
the rain we have been having
Also for many grave sites there is no one to care about fixing any
headstones that fall over or are broken. The cost for putting one back up
is about 100 to 300 dollars. I know I have done it recently. The cemetery
can not afford to do on their own. They do not have sufficient funds. Some
people believe that " perpetual care" means they will do that. If does
not. It only means they will mow the grass.
1. for St Michael all records burned in a 1903 fire.
For St. Adalbert when the last caretaker died about 10 to 15 years ago no
records were found for the cemetery.
2. when the catholic diocese merged parishes, Prince of Peace the new
parish inherited 6 cemeteries. They are still burying in all six
cemeteries. They have about 12 of more each week and that comes first.

3. Because of a gray area around privacy laws they do not want the
headstones published to the internet.

Again and Last I have all six cemeteries recorded now. The cemetery
office has all my lists so maybe you could try again, but put it in
writing.
They have only one secretary and one caretaker for all six cemeteries.

Helen In Pgh.

This thread: