PABEDFOR-L Archives

Archiver > PABEDFOR > 2000-07 > 0964422557

Subject: Hillegas/Leazure/Cavene/Arnold in 1815
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:09:17 EDT

I have transcribed the following deed. If you read it you will find it's not
the usual deed. Evidently, John Leazure was in a court case against HILLEGAS
that went to the PA Supreme Court. I know the records on this case should be
in the State Archives at Harrisburg, but what do I ask for?? I don't have a
case number or any title for the action.

The deed mentions the Court of Common Pleas in Bedford. What do I ask them
for?

And can someone explain what was going on? It sounds like John LEAZURE was
selling his land for $1 to 2 men who would bail him out if the suit didn't go
his way. Then if he won the lawsuit, the deed was null and void. Correct?

The line in brackets was hard to read; the rest was very clear.

Bedford County Deed 04277

John Leazure to Edward Cavene and Peter Arnold

Know all men by these presents that I John Leazure of Napier Township Bedford
County and State of Pennsylvania for the purpose hereinafter mentioned and in
consideration of the sum of one dollar to me in hand paid by Edward Cavene
and Peter Arnold of Bedford County aforesaid have granted bargained and sold
and by these presents do grant bargain and sell to said Edward Cavene and
Peter Arnold their heirs and assigns all that certain tract of land on which
I reside in Napier Township aforesaid on the Raystown branch of Juniata
supposed to contain three hundred acres be the same more or less to have and
to hold the same to the said Edward Cavene and Peter Arnold their heirs and
assigns to their own use forever. It being the same tract of land which I
hold by improvement commenced more than twenty years ago and by actual
settlement and residence. Provided nevertheless that if I the said John
Leazure do and shall save harmless and indemnify them the said Edward Cavene
and Peter Arnold having at the request of the said John Leazure become my
bail [on awrit of Emn] sued out or to be sued out from the supreme court of
Pennsylvania by the said Leazure against Frederick Hillegas returnable the
4th Monday in September 1815 and directed to the Court of Common Pleas of
Bedford County then the above deed and estate above granted to be void
otherwise to remain in full force.
Witness my hand and seal the 20th day of June A.D. 1815
his
John I Leazure
Mark

Sealed and delivered in the presence of
John Tod J.M. Russell

The J.P. who signed the deed was Thos. Hunt. Date was June 20, 1815.
Recorded the 21st day of June A.D. 1815. By David Miller ?, Recorder

This thread: