PABERKS-L Archives

Archiver > PABERKS > 1999-01 > 0915844586

From: <>
Subject: Tulpehocken Pioneers
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:16:26 EST

I have been reading "The Reeds of Tulpehocken" by Herbert P. Reed on a
microfilm at our local Family History Center and copying some of the pages.
My ancestor of Johan Leonhardt Rieth; one of the first settlers of the
Tulpehocken.

The following is in the Summary section of the historical part of the book and
I thought some of the Berks Co. researchers might appreciate it. As you can
see, many of the surnames show up on this mailing list regularly.

I also have Krise and Zerbe ancestors but am not certain if they were
Tulpehocken pioneers. My Krise family was in Frederick Co. MD in the late
1700's and Philip Zerbe in Centre Co. PA in the early 1800's.

"Review and Summary:
>From 1723 to 1728 when the Tulpehocken settlement was made by the first
American Reeds, Kintzers, Schaeffers, Loeschs, Lerchs, Kapps, Zugs, Kaysers,
Rohrers, Krises, Schmidts, Laucks, Zerbes, Bentzs, Beyers, Stupps, Walborns,
Ernsts, Unruhs, Fischers, Anspachs, Felgers, Leigners, Decks, Liebos, Weyants,
Winters, Stumps, Wenrichs, Clehbergs, Diefenbachs, Miamichs, Schells,
Batdorfs, Goldmans, Scheetzs, Lowers, Zehs, Heckendorfs, Zellers, Blums,
Holsteins, Brossmans, Ledermans and in 1729 the Levenguts, Weisers, Brauns,
Fidlers, Deppens, and others. America had only recently been inhabited by the
white man along the Atlantic coast.

In this period, the forests were cleared, rude homes built, roads opened,
churches erected and congregational life and schools established. Grist and
saw mills were erected and in 1749 John George Nikoll and Michael Miller
erected the first iron forge, "Tulpehocken Kisenhammer" (Charming Forge). The
city of Reading was founded by the Penns in 1748."

If any Reed, Krise or Zerbe researchers have information, I would appreciate
it. I have quite a bit on the Reeds but little on Krise or Zerbe.

Barbara Wegley Anderson

This thread: