PABERKS-L Archives

Archiver > PABERKS > 2006-08 > 1157028632

From: "Diana Quinones" <>
Subject: Re: [PABERKS] HIESTER and STRUNK/STRUNCK
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:50:32 -0500

Kathy, I agree!

Elizabeth STRUNK was an American woman! I guess that means she was born in PA or nearby? Maybe someone can help find a record of her and her parents. If Yost emigrated in 1737, then her family would already be in PA...........likely? Maybe in Montgomery Co since the men went there first- lived in Goshenhoppen area before coming to Bern Twp.........

History of Berks Co., M Montgomery, 1909, p.352
Joseph Hiester came to America in 1738 and first went to live in Goshenhoppen, then Philadelphia (now Montgomery) county. Several years afterward Joseph and his brothers, John and Daniel, united in purchasing from the Proprietary government between two thousand and three thousand acres of land in Bern township, Berks county. Here Joseph and John settled, while Daniel remained at the old homestead in Goshenhoppen (for a while).
Daniel's name is shown as heads of families belonging to Old Goshenhoppen Reformed Church under Rev. George Michael Weiss - no date given - but Rev. Weiss was at that church in the Goshenhoppen charge from 1746-1761. This charge included New and Old Goshenhoppen and Great Swamp Reformed churches. He and wife sponsored several baptisms in 1759-60, and 1767 at Old Goshenhoppen before they located to Berks Co. Rev. John Theobold Faber, pastor of the Goshenhoppen Reformed charge, composed of the Old Goshenhoppen, New Goshenhoppen, and Great Swamp congregations, made his home with him from 1766 to 1770.

He had a tannery and also made tiles at his place in Upper Salford Twp. He also made the bricks of which his mansion was built in 1757. In 1774 he deeded his property to his son Daniel, Jr and relocated to Berks Co. On 31 March 1777, he was appointed a Justice of the Peace for Berks County. In 1779 he was a resident of Reading, Berks County.

In a History of the HIESTERs - Compiled by John P. Hiester of Chicago, revised and supplemented by 1933:
Joseph aka Yost married Elizabeth Strunk, an American woman. Children: John, John Christian, Catherine, Daniel (November 5, 1761), Ann Eliza, Joseph, and William. Little is known of his children. They did not rise in prominence in the affairs of state or nation, as did their cousins. Doubtless, they were quiet, industrious, home-loving country folk and good substantial citizens.

Surely we can find more for Elizabeth STRUNK!

Diana