PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2000-01 > 0948579076

From: <>
Subject: Fwd: [PACAMBRI] Copyright Violation Notice
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:11:16 EST

--part1_a8.681b54.25bb8504_boundary

Full-name: BJE9
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:44:21 EST
Subject: Re: [PACAMBRI] Copyright Violation Notice

Fellow researchers:

First of all, I am not taking sides, nor do I claim to know all of the
laws pertaining to copyrights, (although I do have information sent from DC
on the subject). As a published author, my genealogical work is copyright
protected and a copy of the work is in the Library of Congress. If someone
were to make an exact duplicate of my work (the way it was arranged, added
notes from the author, etc.) then I can see a problem.

However, as stated directly from the Register of Copyrights in Washington DC,
any work that is made up of entirely of information from common sources (such
as public records) cannot be protected.

I feel that genealogy is a hobby that is supposed to be just that- a hobby,
and a fun one at that. I have been known to donate time, expense and above
all, information that I have gathered to help others in hopes that someday
someone will help me with a mystery I may have been trying to solve.

If someone works hard at gathering data and shares it, the only advice I
could give is that the least one could do is make note or reference of where
the data came from, that way if it is ever re-used, transferred to others,
etc., at least somewhere in there credit is given to the person who searched
the information out. Sometimes multiple people have to be mentioned for the
same data since genealogy is supposed to be a group effort.

The only way for all of us to "find our roots" (and that is supposed to be
the goal here) is to coordinate with others since not one single person has
all the pieces, yes, it may take receiving some data from someone else.

The biggest thing here is to use common sense. Nobody could be expected to
erase entire files, but just as equally important, anytime data is received
from someone, that person should be noted. Besides, pick up any resource
book and you will find a whole list of sources cited stating the book title,
author, etc.....

I don't like to use this forum for such things as it clutters up everyone's
mail. And, like I said before, not being an expert in the "law" and not
taking anyone's side, the goal here is to make progress in our family tree
and use some common sense along the way.

Brian J. Ensley

--part1_a8.681b54.25bb8504_boundary--

This thread: