PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2005-11 > 1131160872

From: (by way of Lynne Canterbury <>)
Subject: Re: [PaCambri] Mrs. John [Petterson] Noren: Kristina Larsdottor Fors
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:21:12 -0500

I also appreciate the anecdotal information - as you say, makes the
individuals more alive.

The surname FORS was added about 1814 in conjunction with military service;
however the patronymic naming system was also continued.

John NOREN left Sweden using his Swedish name and it was changed sometime
after arrival in the USA. Looking through my notes, I have an old message
from a fellow FORS researcher (who is a descendant of John and Christina
FORS NOREN) stating that one of his Noren uncles indicated there was a
relationship with the other PETERSON family, however I don't seem to have a
follow-up on that. Rich is on the Cambria liste and may join in with any
further information he has.

On the other hand, I have nothing to indicate there was a relationship with
Gust FORS' wife Augusta PETERSON and the other Hasting Petersons. In fact,
I have not able to definitely locate her family. Her parents were Petter
and Johanna JOHANSSON (named only as 'Peter and Annie' on Gust and
Augusta's marriage application, so I am unsure as to what surname they used
here). Anecdotal information has Augusta's twin brother August dying in
South Fork, perhaps in the flood, but I've never been able to verify that.
I have a picture of Augusta, August, and their older brother John taken in
Coalport, PA. My aunts remember their uncle John.... he returned to Sweden
in the 1920s and died there in 1943. But again, I haven't been able to
positively identify his whereabouts in census.

Lynn

-------------- Original message from : --------------

I will have more Endler posts. I am getting settled in my house
now, and finding things I didn't know the location of earlier. While some
of the posts might not add dates or strict genealogical information, I
think the inclusion of events and ancedotes makes the people come
alive. Just like this article.
I saw it in the Hastings Tribune, which exists in three bound
volumes in the Historical Society. It preceded the North Cambria News
[saved from 1902 - 1953], and those three years [about 1893 -1896] were
saved only because the editor took them with him when he went to Ebensburg
to edit another paper.
Do you know the rational of the Swedish name changes? Were the
Petersons in Hastings from the same family, but know as Peterson?