PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2005-11 > 1131658633

Subject: Re: [PaCambri] Harry Gray, m Annie Salsgiver [s Daniel and Sara (Jones)Gray
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:37:13 -0500

Why thank you for the information. I have been collecting all I can on Daniel and Sara (Jones) Gray looking for a son, Gordon Gray. He certainly existed, as he married my dad's cousin, Helen Kline of Hastings. He was a barber in Spangler, and eventually--after four children--deserted her and the children. She ended up living in Miami, Florida, with her father, my g-uncle, Harry Kline. Harry had deserted his wife, Salome Warner, also leaving her with four children.
At any rate, Gordon was supposedly a son of Daniel and Sara, but he mentioned in no obit of any of the other suppposed siblings. However, when I read the social notes in the Barnesboro Star, Helen Kline Gray and all her children are always mentioned as attending parties and gatherings at the Gray home.
Gordon and Helen were married in the 1930s in Cumberland, MD, with permission of the priest here. That sort of "elopement" was practiced a lot then, when no one had money for weddings. However, the Cumberland church did not have parents listed for Gordon. I still need to send to the Courthouse to see if he listed his parents on the license.
So, how Gordon is related to the Gray's is a mystery.
Marilyn