PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2007-10 > 1193397420

From: J Ebaugh <>
Subject: Re: [PACAMBRI] Obit Miss Kate McDermott
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 04:17:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jane,

Regardless of what the paper says, the family spelled the name McDermItt, not Ott. The sister was Regina (not Virginia), but called Jennie, and I have a copy of a picture of her, which she had signed as Jennie. Rose, who married Patrick Halton, was the grandmother of my mom's cousin/stepsister. Alice helped raise Rose's three daughters after she died 22 Aug 1890. Alice never married and died 24 Jan 1937. Their brother David was my great-grandfather, and he died 7 Aug 1919.

According to a family Bible (most likely Alice's), Kate was born 24 Nov 1866, not 21 Nov., so someone got it wrong, either in the Bible or the baptismal record. She died 9 Apr 1892.

Also, according to this family Bible, Barnabas was born 18 Sep 1821. The Bible is owned by a great-granddaughter of Rose, and her grandparents and her father lived in the house at 1700 Fifth Ave. until at least the 1930s, and the Bible came from that house, where Alice lived all her life. Although it doesn't have her name as the owner, there are newspaper clippings in it that were obits for her brother Charles (d 19 Nov 1874) and her sister Mary Josephine (died of smallpox ca 2 Mar 1882). It could also have been her mother's as well, I suppose, as they had both died before their mother. There was also the date of death for the youngest of Barnabas' children, Jesse Francis, who died 23 Aug 1870 (b 3 May 1869). His death was also reported on the mortality schedule for 1870 recently posted on the Cambria website.

Janet

JCTripp <> wrote:
Catherine/Kate lived with her parents 1700 5th Ave, Altoona, Blair Co.
Born Nov 21 & baptized 12-09-1866 at Holy Name, Ebensberg.

According to The Platt Family History by Joe Platt:
Kate died April 9, 1892.
Her sister Virginia married Dr. James J. Oatman. I never found her baptism
in CVR, and her name is listed as Regina in all but the 1850 census
records.
In the 1900 Altoona census Regina says she is a widow, b August 1848.

Her sister Rose McDermott married Patrick Halton, but, by the 1900 census,
only Patrick can be found living with his sister-in-law, Alice at the
McDermott homestead on 5th Ave in Altoona.
Jane