PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2011-02 > 1297055479

From: marilyn <>
Subject: [PACAMBRI] Letters from Cambria County Welsh ministers to Wales??
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 00:11:19 -0500

The Quakers were around Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. I live in West Central PA. The article you sent is about Welsh, but none of the Welsh in Cambria County were Quakers, so far as I know.. The only Quaker meeting around here, and I think it is still meeting, is in Grampian, Clearfield County, Pa. It is perhaps an hour's drive north of Cambria County.
There was some conflict between the early Catholics and the Welsh. I think the Welsh were still in the era of Cromwell's England, and tended to see the Catholics as a fallen church. What I was interested in was copies of letters that the Cambria County Welsh ministers sent back to Wales. These letters, only one of which I have read, were very critical of the Catholics. That was then and this is now. I am interested in them because of history, not religion.
Many universities in Europe are collecting and publishing letters that the emigrants sent back home. I have a marvelous one of German letters to and from Germans in Somerset County and Blair County, among others. They give you a really good inside view of the emigrants.
If anyone knows anything about this topic--emigrant letters--I would appreciate hearing from you.

Marilyn Kline Washington