PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2012-02 > 1329235759

From: marilyn <>
Subject: [PACAMBRI] Adopted children in the Past--Falsified records
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:09:19 -0500 (EST)
References: <0D896257-6509-41B0-87DE-778A967DD1D8@verizon.net><007e01cad1e1$bb147f90$313d7eb0$@net><813E1543A7DE40F18CC50B09816DB728@joshuaparrish><8CEB8D16E8C5409-2DB4-3871@webmail-m148.sysops.aol.com><8CEB8E7E912A792-1124-17927@webmail-d056.sysops.aol.com>
In-Reply-To: <8CEB8E7E912A792-1124-17927@webmail-d056.sysops.aol.com>

I am not sure when it became an imperative to hide an illegitimate birth and/or an adoption, but there are many children whose grandparents were considered their parents. This usually occurred in a large family when one of the older girls became pregnant, and the child was passed off as the grandmother's child. Sometimes that was all there was to it, but in other cases there were elaborate ruses to disguise the truth, including the falsified birth records.

I have also been told that emigrants who came with small children told lies to register the birth of the children as occurring in the USA. With home births and the registration done by the parents to the town register, it was easy to do. I think that had to do with the status of the immigrant family when they had native born children.

I will say that the Catholic Records of baptism reflect the true parents. When my priest [long ago] let me see the records, his concern was that I not reveal any illegitimate births. Or the fathers in such births. But I also found records of incest. Often the parents or other relatives would get permission to have such a child baptized in some other parish where the record was less likely to be found. It was the baptismal record that was important, as civil birth certificates were not important till we had Social Security and conscription.

In cases of adoption, the birth parents are often listed and the adopting parents are the god parents. I found several cases among the Strittmatter family, as Peter Huber was the Stewart at the Poor House [County Home, Almshouse] and there were often children there whose parents were dead or in jail.

Marilyn Kline Washington

-----Original Message-----To: marilynkwash <>
Sent: Mon, Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm
Subject: Re: [PACAMBRI] Adopted children in the Past

On a similar note: My Dad was born out-of-wedlock in Cambria Co, PA in 1927. Birth filed. # years later his Mom wants to get rid of him. His grandmother and her husband wants him. They told the state that she has a natural home birth, not yet registered.. Got an original birth certificate with his grandparents listed as his birth parents.Worked at the time, and I have since found the original papers.

From: marilyn <>
To: pacambri <>
Sent: Mon, Feb 13, 2012 8:49 pm
Subject: [PACAMBRI] Adopted children in the Past

If you have been reading Patti's Cambria Freeman posts, you will find they
ften list adoptions in the Court Record then [up to 1910.] So some were made
egal, perhaps because of inheritance. I don't know when the Courts decided to
keep it quiet."
I think it was mostly informal, as people have suggested.
As for references in obits, I don't know. I have been trying to find out
he families of four children my dad's cousins adopted. One was using their
ast name in her marriage records, but there was no mention in her obit of my
ousins as raising or adopting her. I think maybe that once an "adopted child"
arried, they grew apart, especially if they moved apart.
Also, you don't usually write your own obit. Perhaps the children didn't
now about the adoption. My grandmother's comment, "People didn't talk about
hings like that then," is probably true.
Or perhaps the "real" children didn't get along with the "adopted" sibling,
s they often don't get along with step-siblings.
Sometimes it can just be the format of the obituary. The Altoona Mirror
ften list among survivors those "who were raised in the home." They may be
randchildren or other relatives or no relationship.

arilyn Kline Washington

rom: James Thomas Rosenbaum <>
o: Mary Hoffherr <>; 'Stephen & Mary Ann Belin'
>; PACAMBRI-L <>
ent: Fri, Apr 2, 2010 5:03 am
ubject: Re: [PACAMBRI] Timothy & Mary Weakland Sheehan

think that is what happened a lot in the 1800s and maybe into the early
00s. It was not always a legal adoption when people speak of it back then.
e only way to know for sure is to l@@k for adoption records which are
ten sealed anyway. Nowadays it is a legal statement. I guess if it worked
o well it was considered a take and they said adopted. Just my take on it.
---- Original Message -----
om: "Mary Hoffherr" <>
: "'Stephen & Mary Ann Belin'" <>;
nt: Thursday, April 01, 2010 5:24 PM
bject: Re: [PACAMBRI] Timothy & Mary Weakland Sheehan
A question..do these children actually get officially "adopted" or do they
move in and raised as their own child and they just take the last name?
Is this why they seem to drop off the census or not mentioned in their
parents obits?

From: [mailto:]
On Behalf Of Stephen & Mary Ann Belin
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:44 PM
Subject: [PACAMBRI] Timothy & Mary Weakland Sheehan
In the 1910 census, there is a Mary listed as the adopted daughter of
Timothy and Mary. Does anyone have any information about her. She is
not mentioned in either of their obituaries.
Steve Belin
- - - - - - - - - -
Search for more Cambria County information on our webpage:
-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes
in the subject and the body of the message
- - - - - - - - - -
Search for more Cambria County information on our webpage:
-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes in the subject and the body of the message
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No virus found in this incoming message.
ecked by AVG - www.avg.com
rsion: 9.0.800 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2783 - Release Date: 04/01/10
:35:00
- - - - - - - - -
earch for more Cambria County information on our webpage:
tp://www.camgenpa.com/
-----------------------------
unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
ith the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
e message
- - - - - - - - - -
Search for more Cambria County information on our webpage:
ttp://www.camgenpa.com/
------------------------------
o unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
ith the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of