PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2012-02 > 1329235759

From: marilyn <>
Subject: [PACAMBRI] Adopted children in the Past--Falsified records
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:09:19 -0500 (EST)

I am not sure when it became an imperative to hide an illegitimate birth and/or an adoption, but there are many children whose grandparents were considered their parents. This usually occurred in a large family when one of the older girls became pregnant, and the child was passed off as the grandmother's child. Sometimes that was all there was to it, but in other cases there were elaborate ruses to disguise the truth, including the falsified birth records.

I have also been told that emigrants who came with small children told lies to register the birth of the children as occurring in the USA. With home births and the registration done by the parents to the town register, it was easy to do. I think that had to do with the status of the immigrant family when they had native born children.

I will say that the Catholic Records of baptism reflect the true parents. When my priest [long ago] let me see the records, his concern was that I not reveal any illegitimate births. Or the fathers in such births. But I also found records of incest. Often the parents or other relatives would get permission to have such a child baptized in some other parish where the record was less likely to be found. It was the baptismal record that was important, as civil birth certificates were not important till we had Social Security and conscription.

In cases of adoption, the birth parents are often listed and the adopting parents are the god parents. I found several cases among the Strittmatter family, as Peter Huber was the Stewart at the Poor House [County Home, Almshouse] and there were often children there whose parents were dead or in jail.

Marilyn Kline Washington

-----Original Message-----To: marilynkwash <>
Sent: Mon, Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm
Subject: Re: [PACAMBRI] Adopted children in the Past

On a similar note: My Dad was born out-of-wedlock in Cambria Co, PA in 1927. Birth filed. # years later his Mom wants to get rid of him. His grandmother and her husband wants him. They told the state that she has a natural home birth, not yet registered.. Got an original birth certificate with his grandparents listed as his birth parents.Worked at the time, and I have since found the original papers.