PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2012-03 > 1332938313

From: marilyn <>
Subject: Re: [PACAMBRI] School near Carrolltown in 1912
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:38:33 -0400 (EDT)

Cathy,
Carrolltown usually did not have a public school because all the kids went to the Catholic School.
I am not sure of your location. You should ask Ceclia Farabaugh--she wrote the history of Carroll Township. I am posting this on to Joan Weakland Yeckley.
The Yost/Jost School was just off present Rt 219 south on the Old Brick Road that went to Loretto. I also saw mention of a school in that same area, on the other side of Rt 219. The Ridge Road to Nicktown originally formed a crossroads with the Old Brick Road, but the "dip" into the valley was too steep and the Ridge Road moved to its present location at the top of that hill. I am not sure if the Yost school replaced it or not.
If you go toward Sunset and Baker's Crossroads, there was a school there at the Crossroads. I am not sure of its name.
If you went down the Old Dutch Road, the school was the Weber School at the top of that steep hill where the road went down to Eckenrode Mill Road. My mother attended that school, and the teacher used to come on the train to Eckenrode Mills and then walk up the road to the school. The school held a reunion sometime in the 1970s or so. I have a picture somewhere. I think there was another school or the Weber school had another name.
If you went towards Patton, the school was at the Sharbaugh Farm and was called the Sharbaugh School. It is there still [probably the second school as it is brick] My grandfather, Ambrose Feighner, taught there sometime after 1900. There was a diptheria epidemic and Grandpa got a bad case of the disease and two of his siblings died. [ I am not sure it was the same episode.] Grandpa lived with his aunt and uncle in the house that was moved back from the road--John Sharbaugh m to Mary Ann Feighner.
If you went towards Bakerton from Carrolltown, there was a school near the train station that was called Carrolltown Road. This school once burned to the ground during the school day, no casualties. I read that in the paper.
Both St. Benedict and Bakerton had schools with multiple rooms because of the large numbers of miners with their children. Later Bakerton became West Carrol Township. Both buildings are still there with other uses.
There were some other school, too, but I don't know them.
The place to get information is the old newspapers. In the fall they usually published the lists of the teachers "elected" to the various schools.
When I used the term "elected," I got several questions about the term. The School Board was elected at the same time as other elections. Teachers were elected by the School Board, and it was a very political thing. For example, in Hastings it was understood that half the School Board and half the teachers were Catholic and half Protestant. At one point the Board could not come to an agreement on teachers because of the religion issure, and the County Court had to settle the issue.
Also, the School Boards seemed to have a policy of switching teachers each year, if they reelected them. This was serious as the teachers usually walked to school, and often paid children who lived near the school to shovel the snow, start fires in the stoves, haul water, etc. If the school was too far from town, the teacher would have to "board" with someone or live with a relative.
I suggest you look in the old issues of the Ebensburg Papers. You would want Carroll Township. The schools from there were not usually published in the Hastings or Barnesboro papers [You can find Elder and Susquehanna Townships and Barnesboro and Hastings towns. Once in awhile there would be a Carroll Township list.]
Cathy, my reading of the articles you sent shows that 1912 is the date of the article, not her teaching. At the time, and up until WW II, when teachers were hard to find, only single women could teach school. If they married in 1891, she would have been teaching before that time and not after it. Many teachers would have a "secret' marriage, sometimes for years, until they were "outed." One I know about for sure was P.J. [Paul] Houck, later principal of Hastings Elder High School. His wife was a student nurse and was not allowed to marry.
Another tip. Look in the Ebensburg and Johnstown WEEKLY Journal at Ebensburg and Barnesboro papers to see if they printed the same article. The local weeklies copied from each other and that is the sort of article they would publish. Another article might have more information.

If some of you have lists of school and teachers from any of the Northern Cambria Area Schools, I would love a copy. I have been collecting them for some time.

Marilyn Kline Washington