PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2014-03 > 1394272080

From: marilyn <>
Subject: [PACAMBRI] Help, please. NYC Death Certificates
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 04:48:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks,
I would like to get a death certificate for my great aunt. She died in New York City on December 21, 1902.

So, how do I find a NYC death certificate? I am sure some of you might have looked for one and can help me.

I know NYC is composed of several separate counties in the five boroughs, so that sounds like a lot of separate places to look. Is there a state registration? A city registration?

Are the death certificates in some sort data base that can be accessed by computer? I would like a detailed death certificate, if possible. Death is likely to have occurred in a hospital, probably a cancer hospital.

Here are the facts.
Catherine Miller Kline, Mrs. Baltzer Kline
Residence, Hastings, Elder Township, PA
Born May 9, 1850 in Wilkes Barra, Luzern County, PA
Died December 21, 1902, age 52.
Her body was shipped back to Hastings for a funeral and burial.
Catherine had cancer, and went on the train with her doctor, Dr. David Rice of Hastings, PA, to NYC for [supposedly] a cancer operation. At that era, evidently it was not uncommon for a doctor to accompany his patient to a hospital in another area for surgery. The train system made such trips possible, probably easier than it would be today. I don't know if anyone else accompanied them. I don't know if her doctor would assist with an operation.

I am interested in any and all information. Thanks for you suggestions.

Marilyn Kline Washington

This thread: