PACENTRE-L Archives

Archiver > PACENTRE > 2006-04 > 1144112738

From: Sue Renkert <>
Subject: Re: [PACENTRE] Scot- Irish Traditions
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:05:38 -0800

Wow! It never occured to me that I might need a translator if I'm ever able
to visit Central Pennsylvania!

Interesting article in Wikipedia. It would be very interesting to read a
line-by-line commentary from someone who actually lives there.

This part is curious: "The plural forms of game animals do not add an "s" or
have any other plural marker; the singular and plural are identical, with
the plural form being ascertained through verb declension or context."
Isn't this NORMAL in standard English??? Except for maybe game birds, I
can't think of any game animal where there IS a separate plural form. Deer,
moose, caribou, elk, sheep, antelope. Hmmm... Makes you wonder who wrote
the article.

And I had to laugh about the comment, "These German settlers learned to
speak English from people with Scotch-Irish accents and consequently, the
Central Pennsylvania accent to this day maintains the harsh, guttural sound
one would expect to hear from a German speaker who learned to speak English
by listening to Scottish-accented English." German itself is as gutteral a
language as you will ever find!

"I seen this" and "I should have went" are bad English wherever you go in
this country! Nothing regional about that! And every place I ever lived
had "garbeege" trucks!

Code switching????? Sounds spooky. Truth is, I've never lived in the
South, but give me half an hour with a Southerner, and I'm talkin' jes lik
'em!"

We have a similar verb tense situation with our Athabascan Indians here in
Alaska. Where we would say, "Where did you go?" they say "Where you went?"
Or "What you ate?" for "What did you eat?" I suspect it has to do with the
transfer over from the Koyukon Athabascan (in this case), as these folks are
only second and third generation English speakers. As an English teacher, I
gave up and simply learned to enjoy the uniqueness of their way of speaking.

Justin, what are the expressions you referred to that are unique to the
area?

Y'all take cere, now,

Sue
Fairbanks, Alaska