PACENTRE-L Archives

Archiver > PACENTRE > 2006-04 > 1144173671

From: "DianeLRice" <>
Subject: Re: [PACENTRE] Scot- Irish Traditions
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:03:09 -0400

Some of the pronouncations of words and expressions has been most
entertaining. Although, I am not terribly sure they are Scot-Irish in
nature. My father's side of the family were English, they came to the U.S.
shortly after the Mayflower and during the Revolutionary War and after went
to New York and some to Canada. They then came to Michigan in the 1870s for
the lumbering business. My father's name was Versal Washburn, and his
nickname was "Warshy." He always said "warsh" instead of "wash" and so did
other members of his family. They also said "Punner" instead of "pretty
near" and a few other terms that have been sent to the list. When my sister
went to California and used the term, her husband thought he was going to
have "Pudding" for dessert that night.

What I remember from my mother's side of the family that came from Central
Pennsylvania was a dish she called PawnHoss that Justin mentioned in one of
his other emails. My great grandmother, Almeda (Kline) Wion brought the
recipe with her to Michigan in the 1920s. Not sure she had any Scot-Irish
in her background, but I was told they ate a lot of PawnHoss during the
"Great Depression." I think it was eggs and some kind of wheat cereal made
into a loaf that was then baked. It could also be served as left-overs by
slicing it up and frying it. I was NOT fond of it and dropped that
tradition quickly when I married in the 1960s. Had not thought about it in
many years. Thanks, Diane in Michigan