PACENTRE-L Archives

Archiver > PACENTRE > 2012-02 > 1329894145

From: ,
Subject: Re: [PACENTRE] Who is James "Indian Jim" Lucas from Snow Shoe,Centre Co., PA
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:02:25 -0000

Author: traceyaz
Surnames: Lucas
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.pennsylvania.counties.centre/3293.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

You don't give birth/death dates. I have this info:
James S LUCAS (b.6 Apr 1819-Howard Tp,Clinton Co,PA;d.11 Dec 1890-Three Runs,P,Clearfield Co,PA)
sp: Isabella FOX OR FAUX (b.24 Feb 1828-Gregg Tp,Clinton Co,PA;m.29 Jul 1851;d.18 Jun 1906-Karthaus Tp,Clearfield Co.PA)

This James S. Lucas is my 2x great-grandfather. He is listed from Snow Show, PA on the list of PA Civil War Reunion List.
I don't list a son named 'James' so may not be your relative.
I moved to AZ from PA 30 yrs ago. The 'James Lucas' listed here fought in the U.S.-Mexican War 1846-1848. Part of Mexico became AZ, there were Indians in Mexico then and there still are Indian tribes here names Navajo, Papago, etc. James may have picked up that name of 'Indian James' while here then. AZ just became a U.S. State in 1912 and we are this year 2012 celebrating 100 years of being a 'state.'
My genealogy notes for him are these: "1850 census I cannot find James with his parents or with Isabella, they married 1851.

1860 Liberty Tp, Centre co.
James Lucas 34
Isabella 32
Franklin 7
Thomas 5
William 2
Harriett 1

1870 Kylertown P.O., Karthaus Tp, Clearfield Co., PA
James 44
Isabella 42
William 13
Harriett 12
Edna 5
George 3

James S. Lucas, died Dec 11, 1890, Veteran of two wars; The U.S.-Mexican War (1846-1848)(see description below), and Civil (1 Jul 1863 was wounded and missing in action at first Battle of Gettysburg, 149th PA Bucktails), age at death 71yrs, 8mos, 5dys.
Aldrich Chapter XII, Clearfield Co Military, 149th PA Volunteers, Bucktails James Lucas, August 29, 1862; wounded and missing in action at Gettysburg, Pa. July 1, 1863.

"REUNION OF THE 149TH REGIMENT PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEERS" (Clearfield Republican - 30 Aug 1901)

The SURVIVORS OF THE 149TH PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, COL. JOHN IRVIN'S REGIMENT WILL HOLD THEIR REUNION AT GETTYSBURG ON OCT 8 THIS YEAR.

The Pennsylvania Railroad will sell excursion tickets for single fare for round trip from all parts of the State.

Companies 'B' and 'E' were recruited from this county, the former (b) from Curwensville and the latter (E) from Clearfield.
The following is the roster of Company 'E', as prepared by W.R. Johnston, Secretary of the Regimental Association:
(Jan Tracey copied the following names from this Reunion Announcement, this is on the Clearfield PA website 2004):

Daniel S. KEPHART, Osceola Mills
Christian LANICH, Clearfield
James LUCAS, Snow Shoe
Joseph LINARD, BLACK Log
Charles LARIMER, Osceola Mills
William MAYS, Osceola Mills
James D. MAFFIT, Houtzdale
John H. OGDEN (dead) Clearfield
W.H. PHILIPS, Brisbin
H.W. PETERS, Madera
Joseph RINEHART, Bird Island, MN
Cortes REAMS, Osceola Mills
Elias SCHOEPP, Osceola Mills
The U.S.-Mexican War (1846-1848)
Some 12,000 or 13,000 Americans and perhaps several times as many Mexicans died in the war--the first war the U.S. fought outside of its own territory.

The war was initiated when the U.S., already having border disputes with Mexico, sent 4,000 troups to the Rio Grande (or Rio Bravo as it is known in Mexico). On the heels of that move, U.S. President James Polk proposed that Mexico sell its northern half to the U.S. Hostilities commenced and the U.S. crossed the border to occupy Matamoras. Soon after, U.S. warships attacked Veracruz and landed troops, who fought their way overland to Mexico City. Santa Anna led a defending army, but the Mexicans were overwhelmed. In the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, virtually dictated by the U.S., Mexico agreed to sell its northern territories to the victor for $15 million.

For Mexico, the war was a traumatic event that resulted in the loss of many lives, half its territory and a great deal of pride and hope for the future. At the same time, Komatsu says, it brought together a people who still were struggling with what it meant to be Mexican, just 20 years after achieving independence from Spain.

Mexican War
It was clear by the mid 1800's that the United States wanted to extend its borders to the Pacific Ocean.

Texas was annexed in 1845 and the subsequent border dispute with Mexico helped fuel Congress' declaration of war in May of 1846.

This war helped the United States gain territory in what we now call the Southwest which includes Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada, Utah and parts of Colorado.

Important Note: