PADELAWA-L Archives

Archiver > PADELAWA > 2007-01 > 1169697212

Subject: [PADELAWA] Burlington and West Jersey Archives - informationavailable
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:53:32 EST

Dear Judy and listers:

Thanks for prodding me on this - I've been a bit out of date as most of
my time has been spent in hospitals the last 2 years. GOOD NEWS! Before, it
was very difficult to get access to the West Jersey Proprietors records - you
had to know and get written permission from a direct patrilineal descendant.
Below is a URL giving information on the current access, hours, etc., as they
entire archives (including many EARLY maps) were moved to the NJ State Archives
in late 2005. Nothing on line yet, but much more accessible. I hope the state
has plans.

http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/wjp.html

>From 1676 until 2005, the records were kept in the Surveyor General's Office
on Broad Street, Burlington. That city has made heroic efforts to preserve and
publish its past, and you can take a fun virtual walking tour of this
fascinating early town at

http://www.tourburlington.org/SeeSitesTxt.html

As you know, Judy, I am also a descendant of Robert Eyre, so anything you
find I'd love to know about. And vice versa, of course. Happy hunting!

Thy friend, Nancy Webster

This thread: