PADUTCH-LIFE-L Archives

Archiver > PADUTCH-LIFE > 2007-01 > 1170280147

From: "Lynn Vondran" <>
Subject: [PD-LIFE] Games and Activities from the Past
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:49:07 -0500

Hi! I was originally from Reading, Berks County, PA, and am 53:
All of the same games as Sally, and we also played, did and had these (hope
I don't repeat any):
Tiny Tears
I had a Debbie Doll (one of the first with movable joints)
Thumbelina
SPUD
Hop Scotch
Flash Light Tag
Hide 'n' Seek
500 Rummy for weeks on end...not just to 500
Gin Rummy for weeks on end
Monopoly for weeks on end...oops, sorry, just saw that you had this one.
Soldiers (Blue Coats and the Gray Coats...miniature army set)
House (with baby carriages, using our kiddie dish sets with the little seeds
you take off pig ears as food)
Wall Ball
Roof Ball
Walked, walked, walked (probably 10 miles a day around Glenside)
Ice Skated for 2 miles on the Tully (Tulpehoken Creek) in the winter
Swam in the same creek in the summer, though there were signs posted to swim
at your own risk
Cars (all the little boys on the block would get out their cars and we would
imagine a city, and drive everywhere...it always included a car wash)
Made up talent shows, and put them on for the neighbors.
Magic...there were really neat magic games out back then.
Roller Rink Roller Skating
Regular Roller Skating for miles at times
Another board game: Concentration
King of the Hill
Kick the Can
Watched Happy the Clown, and Kaptain Kangaroo (was on both of these TV
shows)
Watched Dark Shaddows (had to rush home from school for this one, as it
started at 3PM, and you didn't want to be left out of the conversation on it
at school the next day)
Watched Paton Place (sp?) (I know, these two shows weren't the best shows
for kids to watch, but we did)
Watched General Hospital (when it was newer)(I haven't watched a soap opera
since my teen years)
I had a Patti Doll, but all my friends had Chatty Cathy, or the one that
could walk...can't think of her name at the moment
We played Black takes Red a lot
Read a lot of comic books, and collected them, too
Flew those wooden airplanes with the propeller turned by a rubber band
Built and flew kites
Raced Marbles down the cracks in the kitchen table
Colored in coloring books just about every day, and had neat ways of making
textured pictures just by using our crayons
Had bubble blowing contests, if we all wound up with a piece of bubble gum
Colleted Elephant Dritzles, then had our friends try to collect them.
Sat on a railing, next to the railroad tracks and watched the trains go by,
counting the cars, and states where the cars were from
Hung out at the playgrounds, and always had playground leaders to help you
throughout the day.
Went to Good News Club once a week.
I'm sure I missed some...as I said, you could add these to the list below of
Sally's...we did it all, and were never bored.
Gotta go now, but will be watching for even more that I forgot :o)
Brings back so many memories!!!!
:o)
Lynn

Jean wrote:
>> writes:
>> I'd love to hear from you-all, re games, toys, activities you did as
>> children, mostly ones that aren't popular today... I have some, but for
>> my
>> newspaper
>> column, I'd like to have suggestions of others.. From back when childhood
>> really was childhood!! Thanks, Jean

This thread: