PAF-5-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > PAF-5-USERS > 2001-05 > 0990540535

From: Steve Rawlins <>
Subject: Re: [PAF-5] Adding a single souce to a many individuals
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

I have added a single source to several individuals by editing the GEDCOM in a text editor, or word processor. (If you use a word processor, be certain to save the file as a .txt file.)

GEDCOMs are simply text files. I created the common source for one individual in my family file and exported a GEDCOM. I looked at the GEDCOM in a text editor and noted the additional lines that were added to the individual with this common source to reference this source. I then copies and pasted these same lines into the GEDCOM for everyone whom I wanted to have the same source reference.

This process required the use of utility that allows multiple line cut and paste, which your word processor probably does not allow. I found a free utility on the web to do the job. I think it is named "S&R98". Unfortunately, I do not have the URL for this utility on this computer, but if there is interest, I'll post it when I get home.

Linn Weston <> wrote:

I have a couple gedcom files I would like to add to my PAF5 file. I want to show where each record came from for each individual without doing it one individual at a time.

Is there a way to add a source to all the individuals in the gedcom file before importing to PAF5 or a way to add to groups of people in PAF5 so the source of these files will show up under "Individual Sources"?

Thanks,
LG Weston

PAF-5-USERS Mailing List
http://www.geocities.com/hutton_l/paf-5-users/