PAFAYETT-L Archives

Archiver > PAFAYETT > 1999-07 > 0931899477

From: <>
Subject: Robert Lappin
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:57:57 EDT

I am trying to find any information at all on Robert Lappin and his
brother(?) Samuel Lappin, who would have been living in Fayette Co., around
1790. They may have been using the name Lapine. Robert was born in
Maryland. He married Elizabeth Kirk, we believe in East Nottingham,
Maryland. While in Fayette Co., PA, they were residents of Redstone
Township. Some say their father was Paul Lappin who fought in the
Revolutionary War, but his records are almost nonexistent.

I was told years ago that they were chastised at their wedding for being too
ostentatious. A granddaughter told her children that Robert sang German
songs with an Irish brogue. As you can see, we get nothing that agrees.
Samuel Lappin went to Tuscarawas Co., Ohio and Robert went to Belmont Co.,
Ohio and died in Morgan Co., Ohio at age 82 yrs 11 mos.

There are a lot of people with the name Lappin, but most came over in the
late 1800's. Plenty are in Ireland. Believe they were originally Huguenots
and either became Quakers in Ireland or the States. Any help with this name
would be greatly appreciated. Jerilyn Lappin Koskan

This thread: