PAFAYETT-L Archives

Archiver > PAFAYETT > 1999-09 > 0937966375

From: <>
Subject: Crow sisters Massacre
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:12:55 EDT

Although I am also researching the Crow family, the Crows in question appear
to be a different one than mine.... However, I found this obituary during my
searches! Might help out! I don't know the which paper this is from but
it is dated Feb 20, 1945.

Great-Great-Nephew Of Massacred Sisters Is Dead
Waynesburg, Feb 20 - Wylie Lee CROW, 78, direct decendent of the family
whose massacre by Indians gave the name of Crows Mills to the site where the
massacre occurred on Wheeling Creek, Richhill twp, died today in the Ohio
Valley Hospital, Wheeling W. Va.
Mr. Crow had been in declining health for the last three years, but was
seriously ill for only the last two weeks. He was admitted to the hospital
on Feb. 8.
He was the grandson of Michael Crow, whose three sisters, Betsy, Susan and
Katherine, were slaughtered by Indians at their home on Wheeling Creek, below
what is now Crabapple, and another sister, Christina, was attacked and
mistaken for dead.
Mr. Crow was a son of Michael and Sarah Jane LUCAS Crow and was born and
spent all his life on the Crow farm at Crows Mills, Dallas, W. Va. R.D. 1.
The mill at that point was built by his father and grandfather. He was the
last of a family of six brothers and two sisters. John M Crow, formerly
professor of languages in Waynesburg College, was a brother.
He spent his entire life as a farmer. As long as services were conducted
in the West Unity Presbyterian Church he was a member and elder of the
congregation.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs Minnie SCOTT Crow and two sons, Homer Crow,
Dallas W. Va. and Martin Crow, Austin Texas.

Hope this helps out.
My Crow family can be found at my web site:
http://www.my-ged.com/donldson

thanks
Mike Donaldson, Allenport, PA

This thread: