PAGREENE-L Archives

Archiver > PAGREENE > 1999-10 > 0940829860

From: <>
Subject: Re: [PAGREENE-L] SPICER ROBERTS--PLEASANT HILL, PA.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 01:37:40 EDT

Hi Lori,
Have you run across a SPICER family name in your research. My
ancestors, William Spicer & Lydia Johnson, were massacred by Indians in
June 1773 in Greene County, Pennsylvania, along with a son Jobe, bc 1758.
Two other children, William, bc 1764, and Elizabeth, bc1762, were taken
captive. Elizabeth was released 18 months later and returned to Greene
County. She married a William Daugherty, had 2 daughters -Elizabeth & Lydia;
and after his death, married Thomas Bowen in 1791 in Greene County and had 6
children.

William Jr. (my ancestor) remained with the Indians. He was taken to Seneca
County, Ohio where he married an Indian woman and raised a family. He became
a wealthy stock raiser and died there about 1830-1831.

Back to the William Sr. & Lydia Johnson. They came to Greene County PA about
1771 from VA(?). I am trying to find their families. Your Spicer Roberts
may have been given the name Spicer because of one his ancestors.

I know I am really reaching out here, but I would be very interested in any
background you might have on your Spicer Roberts. Who knows -- we might be
cousins.

In a message dated 10/24/99 11:54:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> Hi Listers,
>
> Is Pleasant Hill, Pa. in Fayette County, or Greene County, and is Pleasant
> Hill Presbyterian Cemetery the only cemetery, there?
>
> I have a Spicer Roberts buried there, he was born ----Dec. 6, 1815,
> died----Oct. 13, 1853, Married-----Anna Mary Kennedy.
> He was a farmer and stock buyer.
> Searching for his parents, I have father as Robert Roberts (farmer) and
> wife
> is Elizabeth ? No dates for those two???
> Anna Mary Kennedy's parents are David Kennedy and Mary Wildman.
> Is there any one researching these names?
> Take Delight in the Day!
> Lori :~ )

This thread: