PAINDIAN-L Archives

Archiver > PAINDIAN > 1999-06 > 0929417068

From: Phil Lindblom <>
Subject: Re: [PAINDIAN-L] Surnames
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:24:28 -0700

Hi
Am attaching the information I have. I hope that it may help you. Please
send me the information you have so that I can add it to this list.
Thanks
Janet
Descendants of Michael Johann Rishell

Generation No. 1

1. MICHAEL JOHANN1 RISHELL was born Abt. 1712 in ,,Germany, and died 1760
in ,,Pa. He married CATHERINE STEINBERGER Abt. 1739 in Macungie twp,
Northampton, Pa..

Notes for MICHAEL JOHANN RISHELL:
John (Johan) and his brother George settled in Dauphin county, Pa abo ut the
year 1760. From these two men it is supposed that all the Rishells i n
America
have descended. There is some doubt as to their origin, some claimin g they
were of scotch descent, some claiming them to be of German and other s saying
they were French. According to the most authenic information, they a ppear to
be of French descent, although having lived in Germany prior to emigr ating to
America
Extract from a letter written by the Rev. C.w Rishell: "as to our or igin, we
are of French descent. Our people moved from France to northern GErm any, the
section of Holland: this was probably about 1700 or not later than 17 30.
About
1760 two brothers came to this country, settling in Dauphin County, P a. They
married in the United States. One married an Irish lady, the other m arried a
German Lady. I do not have their names as my data was destroyed i n a fire
while I was living at Howard eight year ago. I think,,However, thei r names
were John and George. It was John who married an Irish lady. He di d not
have
a large family, supposedly four children, one girl and three boys. G eorge
had
a family of nine children, five boys and four girls. From these thre e was a
son of John who married the Irish lady, he was a cousin of my grandfa ther
John
George Rishell who was a son of the George menitoned. My grandfathe r John
George rishell was born about 1781; he was one of the older childre n of that
family. After his marriage he moved to Brush Valley, stayed there un til his
eleven children were born, then moved to Penns Valley. By father wa s four
years olda at the time, next to the youngest child. My father and mo ther had
nine children, six of them boys, of whom I am the next to the younges t. mY
generation, therefore, is very old, few of them living, whild I am bu t 63
years
of age. My generation as you see is the fourth in this country; ther e are
now
eight generations, I think probably the ninth generation has begun f or I
have
second cousins of our lineage. I received my information from visiti ng all
the older families I could learn of; they were of the third generatio n. I
also
wrote letters both to Germany and to France. Our name originally wa s spelled
"Rishelle"; ;after learning this I began writing it with two ll's an d have
asked all the Rishells to do the same.****The Adam Rishell you mentio n lived
across fdrom Millhime toward Abesburg near a place called Spring Bank . It
was my grandfather who lived in Georges Valley***
Pleasant Gap, Pa
26 Aug 1925 D.W. Rishell
Michael landed in Philadelphia Pa 5 Sept 1738 "Winter Galley" from Ro
tterday Holland. Pa Archives 3Series, Vol 17, p 149 Pa German Pionee rs,
Strassberger, Vol 1. pg 198, 199, 101, 203;

More About MICHAEL JOHANN RISHELL:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

Notes for CATHERINE STEINBERGER:
Possible other spelling of lat name is Steininger

More About CATHERINE STEINBERGER:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

Children of MICHAEL RISHELL and CATHERINE STEINBERGER are:
2.i.LUDWIG2 RISHELL, b. 1740, Bucks, Pa; d. December 1815, Haines Twp
Centre Pa.
ii.CATHERINE RISHELL, b. 1742, ,Northampton, Pa.
iii.MARIE RISHELL, b. 1744, ,Northampton, Pa.
iv.GEORGE LEONARD RISHELL, b. 1746, ,Northampton, Pa.
v.JACOB RISHELL, b. 1747; d. 1767.
3.vi.MARTIN LUTHER RISHELL, b. 1749, ,Northampton, Pa; d. 1812, Potter
twp, Northampton, Pa.
vii.JOHN WILLIAM RISHELL, b. November 28, 1750, ,Northampton, Pa; d. June
18, 1826.
4.viii.BARBARA RISHELL, b. 1751, ,Northampton, Pa.
ix.ROSINA RISHELL, b. 1755, ,Northampton, Pa.
x.MICHAEL JOHANN RISHELL, b. October 27, 1759, ,Northampton, Pa; d. June
18, 1826.

Generation No. 2

2. LUDWIG2 RISHELL (MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born 1740 in Bucks, Pa, and died
December 1815 in Haines Twp Centre Pa. He married (1) ANN ELIZABETH BLANK.
He married (2) ANNA MARIE DUNMIRE Abt. 1780 in ,Center, Pa.

Notes for LUDWIG RISHELL:
Ludwigs children were baptized in the Jordan Lutheran Church in Lehig h Co
Pa
Ludwig Rishel was born in Bucks Co, Pa and died in Dec 1815 in Centr e Co Pa
He married about 1769 Anna Elizabeth Blank(this could possible be jus t the
word blank with no known surname).
The records of the Salisbury Lutheran Congregation in Salisbury tw p
Lehigh Co show that Ludwig and Anna Elizateth Rishel had children b aptized
there
Philip born 4 Dec 1762 Adam born 4 April 1766
Catherine born in 1768
His wife died and he married second probably about 1780 Anna Maria su rname
notknown two of their children are recorded as baptized tth e the Jordan
Lutheran
Chruch in S. Whitehall twp lehigh C Pa.l
In the Revolution ludwig was a private of the first class in Capt Hen ry
Reitz's
company of the second battalion of Northampton Co Pa. militia command ed by
col
George Breinig, May 14 1778 a private of the second class in the sam e co l
Nov 1781 to 1 Jan 1782, in the first batallion commanded by lt. Col S tephen
Ballion and served 57 days on the frontiers, 22 April to 11 June 178 2 in Capt
John Jacoby's company, muster roll dated 22 April 1782. See Pa Archi ves,
fifth
series, vol 8, pg 223, 61 and 67.
In 1785 he was taxed on60 acres of land in whitehall tpw N.A. County
We have a copy of Ludwigs will signed in August 1811

More About LUDWIG RISHELL:
Record Change: June 03, 1999

Children of LUDWIG RISHELL and ANN BLANK are:
i.JOHN PHILIP3 RISHELL, b. December 04, 1762, ,Lehigh, Pa.; d. ,,Pa.
5.ii.JOHN ADAM RISHELL, b. April 04, 1766, ,Lehigh, Pa; d. August 17,
1849, ,,Pa.
iii.ANNA CATHERINE RISHELL, b. 1768; d. 1862, ,,Pa.

Children of LUDWIG RISHELL and ANNA DUNMIRE are:
6.iv.JOHN GEORGE3 RISHELL, b. November 16, 1781, ,Center, Pa.
v.CHRISTINA RISHELL, b. 1782, ,Center, Pa; m. JOHN RETHEBACH, Abt. 1780,
,CENTRE, Pa.

More About JOHN RETHEBACH:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

vi.ANNA MARY RISHELL, b. 1784, ,Center, Pa; m. JOHN STRIEBY, ,,Pa.
vii.MARGARETHA RISHELL, b. 1785, ,Center, Pa; d. October 18, 1862,
Centre; m. JACOB PICKLE, ,,Pa.

More About MARGARETHA RISHELL:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

7.viii.JOHN CHRISTOPHER RISHELL, b. November 26, 1786, ,Dauphin, Pa.; d.
Aft. 1826, ,,Pa.
8.ix.HENRY RISHELL, b. April 04, 1789, ,Center, Pa; d. July 25, 1847,
,Center, Pa.
x.MAGDALENE RISHELL, b. Abt. 1791, ,Center, Pa; m. CHRISTIAN PICKLE, ,,Pa.
9.xi.SUSANNA RISHELL, b. Abt. 1793, ,Center, Pa.

3. MARTIN LUTHER2 RISHELL (MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born 1749 in ,Northampton,
Pa, and died 1812 in Potter twp, Northampton, Pa. He married CATHERINE
MAGDALENA.

Children of MARTIN RISHELL and CATHERINE are:
i.JOHANNES3 RISHELL, b. February 01, 1778; d. ,Lehigh, Pa.

Notes for JOHANNES RISHELL:
Jordan Lutheran Church records

More About JOHANNES RISHELL:
Christening: February 22, 1778

ii.CATHERINE RISHELL, b. July 18, 1780.

More About CATHERINE RISHELL:
Christening: August 06, 1780, ,Lehigh, Pa

iii.JOHN JACOB RISHELL, b. March 23, 1783.

Notes for JOHN JACOB RISHELL:
Jordan Luthernan Church Reec Lehigh Co pa Film #020354

More About JOHN JACOB RISHELL:
Christening: April 06, 1783, Jordan Lutheran, Lehigh, Pa

4. BARBARA2 RISHELL (MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born 1751 in ,Northampton, Pa.
She married GEORGE SCHWEYER in ,,Pa.

Children of BARBARA RISHELL and GEORGE SCHWEYER are:
i.CHRISTIAN3 SCHWEYER, b. February 18, 1771, ,Lehigh, Pa.
ii.JOHN SCHWEYER, b. September 25, 1777, ,Lehigh, Pa.

Generation No. 3

5. JOHN ADAM3 RISHELL (LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born April 04, 1766
in ,Lehigh, Pa, and died August 17, 1849 in ,,Pa. He married (1) SARAH
YEARICK in Pa. He married (2) ELIZABETH in ,,Pa.

Notes for JOHN ADAM RISHELL:
John Adam Rishell, presumably born about 1770, settled in Brush Valle y,
Center
Co., Pa. He had by his first wife 4 sons;Phillip, William,. John, an d Elias
and by his second wife he had two: Jeremiah and Mersale.

Notes for SARAH YEARICK:
Sarah possible married before to Miller

More About SARAH YEARICK:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

Children of JOHN RISHELL and SARAH YEARICK are:
i.JEREMIAH4 RISHELL.

More About JEREMIAH RISHELL:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

ii.MERSALE RISHELL, b. Pa.

More About MERSALE RISHELL:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

Children of JOHN RISHELL and ELIZABETH are:
iii.JOHN4 RISHELL, b. ,,Pa.
iv.ELLEN RISHELL, b. ,,Pa.
v.DANIEL RISHELL.

Notes for DANIEL RISHELL:
sponsers for his baptish were Daniel Guth and Christian Xanter

More About DANIEL RISHELL:
Christening: December 25, 1787, Jordan Lutheran Church Records
Record Change: June 02, 1999

vi.PHILIP RISHELL, b. Abt. 1788, ,,Pa; m. SARAH KUNTZ, Pa.

More About SARAH KUNTZ:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

vii.WILLIAM RISHELL, b. Abt. 1790, ,,Pa.
viii.SOLOMON RISHELL, b. January 1794, ,,Pa.
10.ix.ELIAS RISHELL, b. March 24, 1802, ,,Pa.
x.ELIZABETH RISHELL, b. March 25, 1880, ,,Pa.

6. JOHN GEORGE3 RISHELL (LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born November 16,
1781 in ,Center, Pa. He married CATHERINE REAM Abt. 1818 in ,Northampton, Pa.

Notes for JOHN GEORGE RISHELL:
John George was supposed to have eleven children

Child of JOHN RISHELL and CATHERINE REAM is:
i.WILLIAM4 RISHELL, b. July 25, 1820, ,Northampton, Pa; m. MARGARET
HELTMAN, Pa.

More About MARGARET HELTMAN:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

7. JOHN CHRISTOPHER3 RISHELL (LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born November
26, 1786 in ,Dauphin, Pa., and died Aft. 1826 in ,,Pa. He married
ELIZABETH WALTERBERRY.

Notes for JOHN CHRISTOPHER RISHELL:
found on the 1860 census Christian, Lewis and wife of John C. farmi ng in
Canoe twp, Indiana Pa
Also information found on the Rueschel Web Page http://www.aftree.com
/VFT/WebPages/Rhonda/RUESCHEL/dO/i00000200.htm#i20
4 generation program Salt Lake

Last Will and testament of Christopher Rishel #6134
I Christopher Rishel of the township of Canoe, Indiana County State o f
Pennsylvania kBeing of sound mind and memory do make publish and de clare
this to be my last will and testiment to wit.
First I give and devise unto my son jeremiah Miles Rishell and Emma R ishel
the farm on which I now reside located in Canoe Twp County an d state afore
said containing one hundred acres more or less upon th e condition that
above said Jeremiah Miles Rishel and Emma Rishel the y shall provide my
beloved wife Catherine Rishel a comfortable home . Share on for and during
her natural life and also that they shall f urnish her comfortable clothing
and all necessary and suitable food c are and all medicines and medical
attention she may require during he r lifetime and further the said
Jeremiah Miles Rishell shall pay unt o my executores one hundred dollars in
mone to the above Jarrom Mile s Rishel and Emma Rishell as to pay the
burying expenses of my wife C atherine Rishel out of their own money
Second I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary L. Calderwood $50 0 five
hundred dollars of my money
I give and bequesth unto my son Herry Rishel lot of land on the tow n of
Clayvill on south side in Jefferson Co and further My son Henr y Rishel has
received $500 previous to will which shall be counted ou t of his share in
this will
Fourth I give and bequeath unto my son Emmanue W. Rishell $500 wihc h he
has received previous to makeing of this will
Fifth All the rest and residue of my property and estate real or mix t at
the time of my death except the household goods which shall rema in on the
farm that siad and the money divided share and share alik e between my five
children viz. Henry Rishel, Mary l. CAlderwood, Ema nuel Rishel, Emma
Rishel M.J. Rishel And further I command my execut ors to erect to my
grave a monument not to cost over $2000 in price.
And lastly I do nominate and appoint Herry Rishel and Robt Calderwoo d to
be the execturors of this my last will and testament wherein I C hrist
Rishel concluded and subscribed to name this 18 Day of Januar y 1899.
Attested Amos S. Miller
Attest James W Horner

Children of JOHN RISHELL and ELIZABETH WALTERBERRY are:
i.CHRISTINA4 RISHELL, m. MCCRACKEN, ,,Pa.
11.ii.SUSANNA MARIA RISHELL, b. June 18, 1806, Centre, Pa; d. November
09, 1900, ,Jefferson, Pa.
12.iii.MARY POLLY RISHELL, b. November 18, 1811, ,Center, Pa.
13.iv.SARAH RISHELL, b. December 18, 1813, ,Center, Pa; d. October 1874,
,,Pa.
14.v.LEWIS RISHELL, b. July 25, 1815, ,Center, Pa; d. May 23, 1863,
,Center, Pa.
15.vi.DANIEL WALTER RISHELL, b. January 16, 1818; d. January 09, 1899,
Punxsutawney, Jefferson, Pa.
16.vii.GEORGE W RISHELL, b. March 23, 1819, ,Center, Pa; d. February 26,
1858, ,,Pa.
17.viii.JOHN C RISHELL, b. 1822, ,Center, Pa; d. 1855, ,,Pa.
18.ix.NANCY RISHELL, b. Abt. 1824, ,Center, Pa.
19.x.CHRISTOPHER RISHELL, b. May 02, 1826, ,Center, Pa; d. January 31,
1899, ,Jefferson, Pa..
20.xi.ELIZABETH ANN RISHELL, b. May 31, 1826, PLUMVILLE, Indiana, Pa; d.
July 02, 1911, Minburn, DALLAS, Iowa.

8. HENRY3 RISHELL (LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born April 04, 1789 in
,Center, Pa, and died July 25, 1847 in ,Center, Pa. He married (1)
CATHERINE HOMAN in ,,Pa. He married (2) MARIE DORTHEA HULL Abt. 1807.

Child of HENRY RISHELL and MARIE HULL is:
21.i.JOHN4 RISHELL, b. December 26, 1808, ,,Pa; d. June 08, 1878.

9. SUSANNA3 RISHELL (LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born Abt. 1793 in
,Center, Pa. She married JOHN PICKLE.

Notes for JOHN PICKLE:
Huntington County Wills As copied from Vol II at Huntingdon

Pickle, John, late of Frankstown twp Will dated 8 Feb 1817 prob ated
Feb 17 1817 Names wife Susannah ;Children Tobias, Lewis,
Mary under 14 years of age Exrs. Christian Gast, Peter Good Wits L ewis
Mytinger, John Shaffer Page 197
Letters of administration granted to Christian Gast and Peter Good o f the
estate of John Pickle, deceased, 17th Feb 1817

Children of SUSANNA RISHELL and JOHN PICKLE are:
i.TOBIAS4 PICKLE.
ii.LEWIS PICKLE.
iii.MARY PICKLE.

Generation No. 4

10. ELIAS4 RISHELL (JOHN ADAM3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born March
24, 1802 in ,,Pa. He married MARY LYONS in ,,Pa.

Notes for ELIAS RISHELL:
Elias Rishell, the fourth son, settled in Center Co., Pa then moved t o a
place
in Brady Twp,. Clearfield Co, Pa, near Salem, now known as the old Ri shell
place; this place he sold to his son Samuel and moved to a farm on Co al Hill
(East Branch) near Luthersburg, Pa, where he bought land from Jacob K UNTZ.
In 1875 he and his family moved back to Troutville and bouthg t he farm of
his father Elias and remained remained there until his dea th. Elias was a
farmer
but also bought land for improvement and sold farms. Married Mary Li
nes(LYONS) 25 Oct
1825

Notes for MARY LYONS:
Mary was the granddaughter of the famous Capt. William Brady who foug ht the
Indians in Clearfield Co, Pa

More About MARY LYONS:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

Children of ELIAS RISHELL and MARY LYONS are:
i.DANIEL5 RISHELL, b. July 01, 1826, ,Center, Pa; d. October 02, 1902; m.
SARAH KUNTZ, March 12, 1831, ,,Pa.

Notes for DANIEL RISHELL:
Daniel Rishell, the first son of Elias Rishell was born in Center c o pa. He
settled first on a farm near troutville now known as the Bonsall plac e. then
moved to East Branch where he had bought a piece of land from Jacob K untz.
He
lived there for a number of years, then bought the farm at Troutvill e from
his
father, Elias about 1875. He lived there until his death in 1902 H e was a
farmer and a lumberman

ii.ABRAHAM RISHELL, b. December 12, 1827, ,Center, Pa; d. May 14, 1852,
,,Pa.
iii.SAMUEL RISHELL, b. October 20, 1829, ,Center, Pa; d. July 11, 1865,
,,Pa; m. LYDIA ARNOLD, Jefferson Pa.

More About LYDIA ARNOLD:
Record Change: June 03, 1999

iv.EMELINE RISHELL, b. November 24, 1831, ,Center, Pa; d. September 01,
1879, Pa; m. CHARLES LITHGO, Pa.

More About EMELINE RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About CHARLES LITHGO:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

v.THOMAS FRANKLIN RISHELL, b. October 15, 1835, ,Center, Pa; d. September
1912, ,,Pa; m. MAGDALENA HEIGES, Pa.

More About MAGDALENA HEIGES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

vi.TAILTHA E RISHELL, b. October 07, 1836, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. November
05, 1884, ,,Pa; m. JOHN HEIGHES, Pa.

More About TAILTHA E RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About JOHN HEIGHES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

vii.SARAH A RISHELL, b. May 16, 1838, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. May 19, 1925,
,,Pa; m. (1) AARON WELLS, Pa; m. (2) MATTHEW S CLARK, Pa.

Notes for SARAH A RISHELL:
Information on this family from Caldwell History of Indiana County, P a
page 472

More About AARON WELLS:
Record Change: June 02, 1999

More About MATTHEW S CLARK:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

viii.MARY R RISHELL, b. September 07, 1840, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. October
01, 1862, ,,Pa; m. ELI HARMAN, Pa.

More About MARY R RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About ELI HARMAN:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

ix.HENRIETTE RISHELL, b. April 30, 1842, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. May 13,
1864, ,Clearfield, Pa; m. ABRAHAM HEIGHES, Pa.

More About ABRAHAM HEIGHES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

x.JAMES A RISHELL, b. April 22, 1847, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. March 25, 1869,
,Clearfield, Pa; m. SUSAN LYONS, Pa.

More About JAMES A RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About SUSAN LYONS:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

xi.JOHN W RISHELL, b. May 13, 1884, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. March 14, 1864,
,Clearfield, Pa.

11. SUSANNA MARIA4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1)
was born June 18, 1806 in Centre, Pa, and died November 09, 1900 in
,Jefferson, Pa. She married ADAM STATES June 25, 1823 in ,,Pa.

Notes for SUSANNA MARIA RISHELL:
This information camve from the History of Indiana Pa by Caldwell
Susanna appeared on the census between 1850 and 19000 in Canoe twp In diana
Co., Pa. She was buried in Nov 19000 at Painter FArm Cemeter y Indiana
Co., Pa. She was a housewife, she was also known as Susan na
She was married to Adam States in Punxsutawney, Jefferson Pa. When a dam
and Susan States removed to indiana Co., Pa they were in the firs t group
of settlers of what became Canoe Twp (formed from Montgomer y twp in 1847.

More About SUSANNA MARIA RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

Notes for ADAM STATES:
Adam moved from Jefferson Co to Wm Martin farm, Canoe twp in 1830 an d in
1843 to his present homestead in Holland Land as per History o f Indiana
Co., Pa by Caldwell
Adam and Susannah Maria Rishel were married 25 June 1823 in Jefferso n Co., Pa

More About ADAM STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

Children of SUSANNA RISHELL and ADAM STATES are:
i.NANCY5 STATES, b. January 01, 1825, ,,Pa; d. July 12, 1902, Pa; m.
JESSE PIERCE, ,,Pa.

Notes for NANCY STATES:
death date per ancestry.com on internet

More About NANCY STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

ii.ELIZA STATES, b. March 16, 1827, ,,Pa; d. July 03, 1829, Indiana Pa.

More About ELIZA STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

iii.CATHARINE ELIZABETH STATES, b. September 20, 1830, ,,Pa; m. WILLIAM
HENRY, Pa.

Notes for CATHARINE ELIZABETH STATES:
She was married to William Henry about 1854 in Indiana Co., Pa. The y had
9 children

iv.SAMUEL STATES, b. January 15, 1833, ,,Pa; d. March 22, 1927; m.
ELIZABETH HUGUS, ,,Pa.

Notes for SAMUEL STATES:
appeared on the census in 1850 in Canoe Twp Indiana Co., Pa He die d on
22 March 1927 He was a farmer
Married to Ann Elizabeth Hugus on 18 Sept 1856 in Indiana Co., Pa

More About SAMUEL STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

v.MARY STATES, b. December 31, 1836, ,,Pa; d. November 01, 1837, Indiana Pa.

More About MARY STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

vi.SARAH STATES, b. November 18, 1838, ,,Pa; m. GEORGE PAINTER, ,,Pa.

Notes for SARAH STATES:
appeared on the census between 1850 and 1860 in Canoe twp indiana Co. , Pa
She was married to George Washington Painter on 9 May 1861 in I ndiana Co. Pa

vii.DAVID J. STATES, b. August 21, 1841, ,,Pa; d. February 11, 1912,
Nevada, Vernon Co., Missouri; m. MARY MAGDALINE RISHEL, ,,Pa.

Notes for DAVID J. STATES:
He appeared on the cenuss between 1850 and 1860 in Canoe Twp., Indian a
co., Pa. He was married to Mary Magdaline Rishell daughter of Lewi s
Rishell and Rebecca Lowmaster on 30 Nov 1865 in Punxsutawney Jeffer son Pa.

More About DAVID J. STATES:
Burial: February 12, 1912, Deepwood Cemetery, Nevada, Vernon Co., Missouri
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About MARY MAGDALINE RISHEL:
Burial: May 10, 1929, Deepwood Cemetery
Record Change: June 07, 1999

viii.EMANUEL STATES, b. October 13, 1843, ,,Pa; d. October 13, 1844.

Notes for EMANUEL STATES:
Information of death on Ancestry.com

More About EMANUEL STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

ix.JOHN CLARK STATES, b. May 30, 1845, ,,Pa; d. April 02, 1927, Monroe
Ia; m. BARBARA ANN BORTS, ,,Pa.

More About JOHN CLARK STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

x.ANDREW JACKSON STATES, b. April 05, 1849, ,,Pa; d. September 09, 1922,
Canoe Twp, Indiana Pa; m. SARAH BELL MAUK, ,,Pa.

More About ANDREW JACKSON STATES:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

xi.AARON STATES, b. October 25, 1849, ,,Pa; m. RISHELL, ,,Pa.

12. MARY POLLY4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was
born November 18, 1811 in ,Center, Pa. She married MICHAEL SHAFFER in ,,Pa.

Child of MARY RISHELL and MICHAEL SHAFFER is:
i.JOHN R.5 SHAFFER, b. June 02, 1845, ,Clearfield, Pa; d. July 23, 1933,
Dubois, Clearfield, Pa; m. MRS. SHAFFER, ,,Pa.

13. SARAH4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born
December 18, 1813 in ,Center, Pa, and died October 1874 in ,,Pa. She
married JACOB PENTZ 1842.

Children of SARAH RISHELL and JACOB PENTZ are:
i.LUCY5 PENTZ, b. December 09, 1843, ,,Pa; m. ELIJAH ASHENFELTER, ,,Pa.
ii.PHILIP K PENTZ, b. March 15, 1845, ,,Pa.
iii.JOHN PENTZ, b. January 18, 1846, ,,Pa; m. MARY A HOLLOPETER, ,,Pa.
iv.ISIAH PENTZ, b. February 25, 1848, ,,Pa.
v.SARAH ELIZABETH PENTZ, b. February 18, 1850; m. DAVID DUNLAP, ,,Pa.
vi.JEREMIAH HENRY PENTZ, b. January 18, 1852, ,,Pa; m. ELLEN CORTNEY, ,,Pa.
vii.WILLIAM CLARENCE PENTZ, b. May 09, 1858, ,,Pa; m. KESSIE ROSS, ,,Pa.

14. LEWIS4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born
July 25, 1815 in ,Center, Pa, and died May 23, 1863 in ,Center, Pa. He
married REBECCA LOWMASTER May 29, 1836 in ,,Pa.

Notes for LEWIS RISHELL:
this family apears on the 1860 canoe twp Indiana co pa census
Lewis died in Berryville, Virginia at age 47 years. He died durin g a
battle in the Civil War
His body was interred 25 May 1863 in Berryville

Children of LEWIS RISHELL and REBECCA LOWMASTER are:
i.AUGUSTUS GASKILL5 RISHELL, b. September 01, 1840, ,,Pa; d. March 11,
1913, ,,Pa; m. ELIZABETH LOWMASTER, April 11, 1867, Indiana Pa.

Notes for AUGUSTUS GASKILL RISHELL:
Information taken from the Rueschel Web Site http://www.uftree.com/U
FT/webPage/Rhonda/Rueschel/dO/i0000039.htm#39
also the obit of William Clark
Obituary of A.G. Rishel dated 11 March 1913

A.G. Rishel, Civil War Veteran, Expires at his Home above Rossiter, W here
he lived many years.

A.G.Rishel, aged 73 a well known farmer and Civil War Veteran died ye
sterday morning at his home in Banks Twp above Rossiter, from a growt h on
the brain, after about one year's illness. He was born near Sei thport,
Pa., and came when a young man to this section where most o f his long life
was spent. When the Civil War broke out he was amon g the first to
volunteer his services. At the close of the war he re turned to this
section and took up farming, since then becoming one o f the substantial
citicens of the community.
He is survived by his wife, two daughters, and six sons a s follow s:
Mrs. Seger, Banks Twp; Mrs. Rittenhouse and William, Shelcota; Joh n,
Fairview; Harvey, Johnstown, Linus, Punxsutawney; Thomas of Westmo ver, and
George, at home
The funeral will take place this afternoon
Interment will be made in Dover's cemetery Banks Twp
A.G. Rishell was born in Jefferson Co, September 1, 1840, and died 1 1
March 1913 aged 72 years 7 mo 10 days. Mr. Rishell was of German p
arentage He with his father came to the Wesley Rishell farm, Canoe T wp,
when quite small. Lived there until the Civil war wbroke out, wh en he
answered his country's call. Enlisted in Captain More's compan y Second
Battallion P.V. for three months. June 21, 1863, mustered o ut.Served
until January 21, 1864 when he was mustered out at the clo se of the war.
He was married to Elizabeth Lowbaster 11 April 1867 a nd moved to the farm
where he died. To their union were born nine ch ildren, seven boys and two
girls. Six boys and two girls still livin g. One boy died when quite small
Was a member of the M.E. Church nearly all his life and died in the f aith

More About AUGUSTUS GASKILL RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About ELIZABETH LOWMASTER:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

ii.SARAH ANN RISHELL, b. September 24, 1841, ,,Pa; d. April 01, 1926, Pa.

More About SARAH ANN RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

iii.WILLIAM CLARK RISHELL, b. December 27, 1842, ,,Pa; d. January 15,
1895, ,,Pa.

More About WILLIAM CLARK RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

iv.JOHN WESLEY RISHELL, b. March 26, 1844, ,,Pa.
v.MARTHA JANE RISHELL, b. July 03, 1845, ,,Pa; d. December 27, 1905, ,,Pa.

More About MARTHA JANE RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

vi.ADELINE RISHELL, b. August 18, 1847, ,,Pa.
vii.MARY MAGDALINE RISHEL, b. June 05, 1850, ,,Pa; d. May 06, 1929,
Nevada, Vernon Co., Missouri; m. DAVID J. STATES, ,,Pa.

More About MARY MAGDALINE RISHEL:
Burial: May 10, 1929, Deepwood Cemetery
Record Change: June 07, 1999

Notes for DAVID J. STATES:
He appeared on the cenuss between 1850 and 1860 in Canoe Twp., Indian a
co., Pa. He was married to Mary Magdaline Rishell daughter of Lewi s
Rishell and Rebecca Lowmaster on 30 Nov 1865 in Punxsutawney Jeffer son Pa.

More About DAVID J. STATES:
Burial: February 12, 1912, Deepwood Cemetery, Nevada, Vernon Co., Missouri
Record Change: June 07, 1999

viii.JAMES HARVEY RISHELL, b. March 06, 1852, ,,Pa; d. November 25, 1882,
,,Pa; m. KATIE KLEIN, May 18, 1887, Jefferson Pa.

Notes for JAMES HARVEY RISHELL:
Marriage appears in the who when where book page 33 volume 3
James was a farmer

More About JAMES HARVEY RISHELL:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

More About KATIE KLEIN:
Record Change: June 07, 1999

15. DANIEL WALTER4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1)
was born January 16, 1818, and died January 09, 1899 in Punxsutawney,
Jefferson, Pa. He married (1) MARGARET CRAWFORD in ,,Pa. He married (2)
CHRISTINA BURKETT September 08, 1842 in ,Jefferson, Pa.

Notes for DANIEL WALTER RISHELL:
Will of Daniel Walter in Rishell Book

Children of DANIEL RISHELL and CHRISTINA BURKETT are:
i.MARY CAROLINE5 RISHELL, b. June 10, 1843, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa; d.
February 15, 1926, Punxsutawney, Jefferson, Pa; m. ANDREW J. FERRY,
September 09, 1869.
ii.DALLAS MONROE RISHELL, b. 1845, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa; d. July 19,
1865, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa.
iii.DAVID BURKETT RISHELL, b. December 05, 1846, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson,
Pa; d. March 23, 1918, Punxsutawney, Jefferson, Pa; m. MARY TYGER, July 30,
1867, Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa.

Notes for DAVID BURKETT RISHELL:
verify the names of this family from J.R. Kellam who has been workin g on this
line

iv.EMMA C. BURKETT RISHELL, b. January 01, 1850, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson,
Pa; d. 1865, ,,Pa.
v.CLARA E. RISHELL, b. April 20, 1852, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa; d. 1865,
YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa.
vi.EDMOND G RISHELL, b. December 18, 1854, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa; d.
November 09, 1865, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa.
vii.ETTA BARBARA RISHELL, b. April 20, 1858, YOUNG TWP, Jefferson, Pa.
viii.ANNA RISHELL, b. June 14, 1863, Punxsutawney, Jefferson, Pa.; d.
April 16, 1929, Punxsutawney, Jefferson, Pa.; m. (1) ARCHIE E CLAWSON; m.
(2) ARCHIE E CLAWSON, December 08, 1886, Punxsutawney, Jefferson, Pa..

16. GEORGE W4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was
born March 23, 1819 in ,Center, Pa, and died February 26, 1858 in ,,Pa. He
married ELIZABETH LOWMASTER Abt. 1844 in ,,Pa.

Notes for ELIZABETH LOWMASTER:
Obit dated 19 Nov 1937
Mrs. Elizabeth Rishell Dies in Banks Twp

Mrs. Elizabeth Rishell, a life long resident of Banks Twp Indiana c o Pa
died at her home Saturday evening of Pneumonia tt the advanced a ge of 80
years.
The deceased was born and reared in Banks Twp her mainde name bein g
Lowmaster. She was married to Mr. Rishel when a young woman. He d ied 13
years ago. She was a member of the M.E. church and one of th e most
beloved woman in the vicinity. Her death is sincerely mourned
She is survived by sons and daughters, one sister, three brothers
Interment in Steffey cemetery.

Children of GEORGE RISHELL and ELIZABETH LOWMASTER are:
i.WILLIAM SHEPHERD5 RISHELL.
ii.JOHN HAYS RISHELL, b. November 06, 1845, ,,Pa; d. October 11, 1877, ,,Pa.
iii.MARY ELIZABETH RISHELL, b. April 21, 1847, ,Indiana, Pa.; d. February
19, 1858, ,Indiana, Pa..
iv.KATHERINE RISHELL, b. December 31, 1848, ,,Pa; d. December 06, 1907,
Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa.
v.DANIEL L. RISHELL, b. March 05, 1850, ,,Pa.; d. Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa.
vi.GEORGE RISHELL, b. November 22, 1854, ,,Pa; d. February 19, 1858,
,,Pa; m. NONA TYGER, Indiana county Pa.

More About NONA TYGER:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

17. JOHN C4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born
1822 in ,Center, Pa, and died 1855 in ,,Pa. He married (1) ELIZABETH
GUTSCHALL. He married (2) ELIZABETH GUTSCHALL.

Notes for JOHN C RISHELL:
These children are listed in the 1850 census which has John C and Eli zabeth
(age35) John N age 14 Catherine 12 Daniel 10 and William S 8
1860 census lists these children: John (1844)) Catherine (1848) Danie l
(1850) William S. (1851)

Children of JOHN RISHELL and ELIZABETH GUTSCHALL are:
i.GEORGE5 RISHELL.
ii.JOHN RISHELL.
iii.DANIEL RISHELL, b. ,Indiana, Pa.
iv.CATHERINE RISHELL, b. Abt. 1838, ,Indiana, Pa.
v.WILLIAM S RISHELL, b. Abt. 1842, ,Indiana, Pa.

Children of JOHN RISHELL and ELIZABETH GUTSCHALL are:
vi.CATHERINE5 RISHELL, b. Abt. 1838, ,Indiana, Pa; d. ,,Pa.
vii.DANIEL RISHELL, b. Abt. 1840, ,Indiana, Pa.
viii.WILLIAM S. RISHELL, b. Abt. 1842.

18. NANCY4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born
Abt. 1824 in ,Center, Pa. She married SOLOMON WEAVER Abt. 1849 in ,,Pa.

Notes for NANCY RISHELL:
Information taken from page 474 of the Caldwell History of Indiana Co unty
Pennsylvania

More About NANCY RISHELL:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

Children of NANCY RISHELL and SOLOMON WEAVER are:
i.ESTHER5 WEAVER.
ii.NANCY F WEAVER.
iii.SALOAM WEAVER.
iv.RUTH WEAVER.
v.JOHN WEAVER.
vi.ZEBIA WEAVER.
vii.SOLOMON WEAVER, b. Abt. 1857.

19. CHRISTOPHER4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was
born May 02, 1826 in ,Center, Pa, and died January 31, 1899 in ,Jefferson,
Pa.. He married CATHERINE WINGERT Abt. 1754.

Notes for CHRISTOPHER RISHELL:
Will probated 2-9-99 all children are listed
1860 census Indiana Co, Canoe Twp, census these children appear: Ma ry L
(1855) Henry (1857)

Children of CHRISTOPHER RISHELL and CATHERINE WINGERT are:
i.RISHELL5, b. ,,Pa.
ii.RISHELL, b. ,,Pa.
iii.RISHELL, b. ,,Pa.
iv.RISHELL.
v.MARY LOUISE RISHELL, b. January 28, 1855, Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa; m.
ROBERT CALDERWOOD, ,,Pa.
vi.HENRY WINGERT RISHELL, b. January 26, 1857, Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa; d.
March 24, 1926, Rochester Mills, Indiana, Pa; m. JENNIE KNOX, ,,Pa.

Notes for HENRY WINGERT RISHELL:
Obituary dated 24 March 1926
Henry Rishel died Tuesday at home in Rochester mills
Henry Rishel, of Rochester Mills, one of the best known residents o f this
part of the state, died at his home yesterday of heart trouble , at the age
of 69 years.
The deceased was born in Rochester Mills, a son of Christopher and Ca
therine Wingert Rishel and was reared to manhood there. His parent s were
early settlers of Punxsutawney, having made their home on th e site now
occupied by the Central Presbyterian church. Mr. Rishel w as married 26
Aug 1878 to Miss Jennie Knox. He was a farmer and deal er in livestock all
his life. A member of the Rockbridge Presbyteria n church of Rochester
mills a good busniess man, honest, industriou s and a splendid husband and
father his death is sincerely mourned b y a host of friends throughtout
Indiana and Jefferson counties.
He is survived by his widow and six daughters and sons.
Interment Pine Grove Cemetery

Notes for JENNIE KNOX:
Obituary dated 12 Feb 1941

Aged Resident of Richmond Dead
Mrs. Jennie Rishell, of Rochester Mills, wife of the late Henry Rishe ll
and mother of Mrs. S. A. Caylor of West Liberty Street, this city , died
last night in the Presbyterian hospital, Pittsburgh at the adv anced age of
83 years. He death was the reuslt of a hip fracture sus tained Dec 24,
when she fell in the home of her daughter mrs. Josep h States in
Pittsubrgh, where she was visiting.
The deceased was born 12 April 1858 in Marchand, a daughter of th e late
David and Maria Braughler Knox. She has lived since her amrri age to Henry
Rishell 64 years ago on a farm near Rochester Mills . A devout member of
the Presbyterian Church her death is sincerel y mourned by her many friends
and acquaintances.
She is survived by four daughters and two sons.
She also leaves four sisters
Interment in Pine Grove Cemetery

More About JENNIE KNOX:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

vii.EMMANUEL WALTER RISHELL, b. September 10, 1860, Canoe twp, Indiana,
Pa; m. WILHELMINA FERNER, ,,Pa.

Notes for WILHELMINA FERNER:
Wilhelmina Ferner Rishell was a descendent of Sir John Hentz of Germa ny
1. Margaret Carlotta Rishell md Lawrence Earl Lindley 28 Aug 1890
child Lawrence Earl Lindley

2. Preston Walter b 26 June 1892 md Emma Zoe Witherow
children Max Ferner 30 July 1912
Todd Witherow 12 Nov 19200

3. Madeline Louise 1 Dec 1896
md Nevin Jennings Smith

viii.JEREMIAH MILES RISHELL, b. March 09, 1863, Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa.

Notes for JEREMIAH MILES RISHELL:
Obituary dated 1 June 1931
Miles J. Rishel, a resident of Locust, near this city, his entire lif e,
died at 3 o'clock this morning in the Adrian Hospital after an ill ness of
about five months. Cancer s\caused his death at the age of 6 8 years. The
deceased was born at Locust, the son of Christopher an d Catherine Wingert
Rishel. He never married and lived with his sist er, Miss Emma Rishel, on
the old homestead at Locust. Death came t o him in the home in which he
was born
For more than 40 years Mr. Rishell sold farm machinery and buggies th
roughout this section of Pa and was known and respected for his squar e
dealing, his optimistic outlook and his kindly consideration of oth ers.
He retired about eight years ago. He was a faithful member o f the
Evangelical Church at Fairview.
He leaves one brother Rev. E.W. Rishel, of Johnstown, and one sister , Emma
with whom he made his home.
Funeral services will be at the Fairview church.

ix.EMMA RISHELL, b. May 05, 1865, Canoe twp, Indiana, Pa; d. May 01,
1954, Rochester Mills, Indiana, Pa..

20. ELIZABETH ANN4 RISHELL (JOHN CHRISTOPHER3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1)
was born May 31, 1826 in PLUMVILLE, Indiana, Pa, and died July 02, 1911 in
Minburn, DALLAS, Iowa. She married THOMAS MCCALL PIERCE November 17, 1845
in Pennsylvania.

Notes for ELIZABETH ANN RISHELL:
information pertaining to this family was received from
Gerald M. Pierce
7701 Dellwood Drive
Urbandale, Iowa 50322
Phone 515-276-8926

More About ELIZABETH ANN RISHELL:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

More About THOMAS MCCALL PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

Children of ELIZABETH RISHELL and THOMAS PIERCE are:
i.CHARLES5 PIERCE, b. May 19, 1847, Indiana county Pa; d. September 02,
1903, Lindale, Smith, Texas; m. MARY ELIZABETH LONG, December 28, 1876,
Wood, Texas.

More About CHARLES PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

More About MARY ELIZABETH LONG:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

ii.PETERSON PIERCE, b. 1848, Indiana county Pa; m. CLARANDA MONTEE,
January 27, 1870, Adel, Dallas, Iowa.

More About PETERSON PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

More About CLARANDA MONTEE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

iii.MARY ELIZA PIERCE, b. September 01, 1850, S. Mahoning Twp., Indiana
Pennsylvania; d. May 29, 1930.

More About MARY ELIZA PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

iv.SARAH JANE PIERCE, b. May 17, 1853, S Mahoning Twp Indiana Pa; d.
April 18, 1891.

More About SARAH JANE PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

v.NANCY A PIERCE, b. February 07, 1858, Illinois; d. February 17, 1905,
Sunnyside Yakima Washington; m. ALBERT RANDALL.

More About NANCY A PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

More About ALBERT RANDALL:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

vi.FRANKLIN PIERCE, b. May 13, 1864, Illinois; d. November 24, 1865,
Illinois.

More About FRANKLIN PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

vii.ARTHUR JAMES PIERCE, b. November 09, 1866, Redfield, Dallas, Iowa; d.
March 01, 1951, West Des Moines, Polk, Iowa; m. MYRA MYRTLE CAMPBELL, July
25, 1894, Adel Dallas Iowa.

More About ARTHUR JAMES PIERCE:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

More About MYRA MYRTLE CAMPBELL:
Record Change: June 08, 1999

21. JOHN4 RISHELL (HENRY3, LUDWIG2, MICHAEL JOHANN1) was born December 26,
1808 in ,,Pa, and died June 08, 1878. He married (1) RACHAEL REYNOLDS
November 22, 1832 in ,,Pa. He married (2) CATHERINE ' HOMAN January 10, 1842.

Children of JOHN RISHELL and RACHAEL REYNOLDS are:
i.HENRY5 RISHELL, b. August 09, 1833, ,,Pa; d. April 09, 1835.
ii.RISHELL, b. February 28, 1836, ,,Pa.
iii.SARAH ANN RISHELL, b. February 28, 1836, ,,Pa; d. February 22, 1894,
,,Pa.