PALACKAW-L Archives

Archiver > PALACKAW > 1999-09 > 0937331227

From: <>
Subject: Welsh cookies
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:47:07 EDT

>>Growing up in Scranton I used to eat Welsh cookies made by my Grandmother -
even could buy them in the grocery store. Does anyone have the recipe?
Please? <<

What fond memories this brings back....and I have the recipe. My father's
parents, Thomas John Price, Jr. and Augusta Auer were from Scranton, and my
dad, Willard Price, was born there. They moved to Philadelphia sometime about
1920. These Welsh cookies were my Grandfather Price's favorites....and, he
was my favorite Grandfather. I remember baking these cookies for him often.
He died in 1965 when I was only 17. I moved to Maine from Philadelphia in the
past year and have seen these packaged in a local gourmet shop. As with
everything, homemade is best.

Welsh Currant Cookies
4 C. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
4 T. Crisco
2 C. currants
approx. 3/4 C. milk

Cream Crisco, eggs and sugar. Add dry ingred. and currants. Add enough mild
to make a dough that can be rolled out thin. Cut into 2" rounds and fry on a
greased griddle like pancakes. Makes approx. 5 doz.

The instructions I have are rather vague. My mother's old recipe card just
lists ingred. and says to fry on griddle. I've expanded the instructions a
little as I recall the way I used to make them. Thanks for reminding me about
this treat. Let me know if this is the same recipe as you remember. I guess
we will both be making cookies this week. :-)

Diane Price

This thread: