PALUZERN-L Archives

Archiver > PALUZERN > 2006-12 > 1165762740

From: David Lear <>
Subject: Re: [PALUZERN] HANNIS-BELLES
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:59:00 -0500

Karen,

I don't have anything specific on the ancestry of John Hannis, but Henry Blackman Plumb in his "History of Hanover Township" has the following on the Hannis family.

John Hannis came to Hanover before 1796 from Connecticut; lived on the River Road; owned part of Lot No. 2, First Division of Hanover in 1802; married Sarah Horton, sister of
Miller Horton; moved to a house near the Ashley crossroad on Lot No. 7, First Division; died in Hanover. They had:
William, went West in 1849
George, went West in 1849
Josiah, went West in 1849
John, went West in 1849, m. ? Steele
Harry, went to Pike Co., PA
Hannah, m. Jacob Deterick
Jane, m. Isaac Frederick
Polly, m. John E. Inman.

This could be the family of your John. Are you sure of his date of death? Or could your John have gone "West in 1849" with a second wife whose name was ? Steele?

These burials are in the Newport Cemetery.

Hannis, Freas E, son of A&E Hannis, d. 1 July 1869, 10 mo
Elizabeth, wife of Adam, 15 Nov 1843-20 Apr 1878
Theresia, dau of A&E, d. 30 Nov 1867, 8 mo 11 dy
Hilderbert H. d. 13 Sep 1877, 2 yr 1 m 6 dy

I found no Hannis burials in the Hanover Green Cemetery.

I found the following record on a Silvius family message board.

Charles Barrall b. 27 Aur [sic] 1854 Moore, North..d. 1929 Nanticoke, Luzerne, Pa m. (1) 16 Mar 1877 Monroe Co, Pa Mary Louise Steen div. 31 May 1892 (b.15 Jun 1855 d.29 Mar
1896)d/o Jame & Huldah ( ) Steen m. (2) abt 1892 Susan Hannis (b.22 Jan 1847 Luzerne, Pa d. 2 Oct 1912 Nanticoke, Luzerne)d/o John & Susan (Belles) Hannis m. (3) Emma Jane
Louden(b. abt 1865 d. aft 1955 Luzerne) d/o Thomas & Sarah (Liedick) Louden

You have a death date of 1897 for Susan Hannis. This record has 1912. Did she have a previous marriage?

In the 1850 census James [5] and Elizabeth [8] were living in Newport Township with their maternal grandmother Elizabeth Belles. I found no census record for Adam Hannis until
1870 when he was living in Dorrance Township with his wife Elizabeth and two sons, Leander [7] and George W. [5].

I did not find Susan Hannis in the 1850 census either.

By 1880 Adam had moved to Ashley. He was then widowed and had five children: Leander [17], William [15], Harry [9], Nora [7] and James [5]. Also in the household were Effa
Wilcox, housekeeper, divorced, and her daughter Annie [8].

In 1900 Adam was still living in Ashley, he had married his housekeeper and they had a son Henry who was born in July 1889.

Did Elizabeth Hannis marry and have a family?

I am interested in learning more about this family, particularly, the first few generations of the descendants of John Hannis and Susan Belles.

David