PATTERSON-L Archives

Archiver > PATTERSON > 2001-08 > 0998596125

From: (Wes Patterson)
Subject: [PATTERSON] Re: Robert and Mary/Margaret Patterson family
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:52:35 -0400

Debra,

Yes, I have that same record from John of Great Bridge, Va. I don't have it with
me (at work) so I wasn't able to refer to that earlier when I replied to you.
There are other accounts of these same families though that do confuse the
issue, as you mentioned.

I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

1. Do you know which 8 children grew to maturity, as stated in those notes?

2. Do you know anything about the Robert (son of Robert of Lancaster) who was
four years old in the account below? I'm trying to determine if he was four in
1730 when they reached PA or when they first started on that two year excursion
across the state. In either case, that would make him being born about 1724 or
1726. Do you know if he stayed in the PA area or if he left and went south?

I'm specifically trying to see if there is a link between him and the Robert
Patterson who died in York Co., SC in 1791. This latter Robert was born about
1727 give or take a year. It is known that owned land in Augusta Co., Va which
covered most of the western region of Va in the 1740s and 1750s (WV also). It is
believed that his family was from PA and that he was either born in PA or in N.
Ireland. His 1775 will (he died in 1791 though) states that he owned land in
both Augusta Co., Va and also in Craven/York Co., SC.

His oldest son was named Thomas (and I see where the Robert son of Robert of
Lancaster was about two years older than his brother Thomas making them close,
no doubt). Robert of Va/SC also had children named Robert, Peter, Elizabeth,
Lydia, Sarah, and William (and I see where the PA Robert also had a brother
named William, too).

The Va/SC Robert's son Thomas was born ca. 1748. This same Thomas and his
younger brothers Robert and Peter may have been born in Augusta Co., Va, but it
is believed that the four youngest siblings were all born in the old Craven Co.,
SC between 1755 and 1762. So it looks like this Va/SC Robert acquired land in
Augusta Co., Va in the 1740s perhaps, and then moved to SC in the mid 1750s,
holding onto the land in both states. According to the account on the PA
Pattersons, the Thomas Patterson there was killed in 1756 (mid 1750s) by
Indians. If he WAS the brother of the Va/SC Robert Patterson, perhaps THAT is
why Robert moved to SC, to get away from the dangerous open lands. I DO know
that is why thousands did move south during the 1750s.

I am 95% sure that my gggg-gf John Patterson (b. ca. 1766 in SC; d. 1840s in
Union Co., Ga) was the son of Thomas Patterson (ca. 1748), who was the son of
the Va/SC Robert Patterson(ca. 1727). I am extremely interested in finding out
more about this "four year old" Robert Patterson, son of Robert of Lancaster. If
these two Roberts (PA Robert and Va/SC Robert) were not the same person, I
suspect there may still be a connection somewhere.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have.

Thanks, Debra.
Wes

http://wespatterson.com/patterson.html

This thread: