PAWESTMO-L Archives

Archiver > PAWESTMO > 2002-02 > 1014155954

Subject: Re: [PAWESTMO-L] Meeting this Sunday
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:59:14 EST

Yes, the meeting was a good one. We got to show the group the found Stain
Glass window that had been in the church originally. The Tribune-Review had a
photographer at the meeting to take pictures for a future article about the
window. We shared the info about the restoration of the Harrold school. We
have been awarded a grant from the state but is still very short of our goal.
Hempfield School District is now our partner for this restoration project.
They intend to help raise funds, have students and teachers involved with the
work, and upon completion use the building as a one room school with students
and teacher learning about local history and to give them a taste of school
in the 1880s to 1920s. The students and teachers of Harrold's Middle School
have produced a video on this project, it is about 15 minutes long and was
also viewed at the meeting. A list of books that were added to our library
was given and a the new books by Paul Miller Ruff were presented, this now
brings our publishing of books to well over 100. We updated the group on
acquiring a maker for the first Hospital in the area, This was out near the
old Wicks building on Rt. 136
Eleanor Ent was our speaker for the afternoon. Eleanor has restored a
one room school house in the area. She gave us a brief history of the school
and her restoration story. This school is now complete and looks great. The
main part of her program was her sharing a slide show of her collection of
one room school houses thought the country and the stories to go with them.
She had a lot of good photos showing a wide range of building types of one
room schoolhouses.
As always there were refreshments after the meeting and the sharing of
family genealogy went on for an hour after the meeting.
We invite you all to join us next month, the third Sunday of each
month at 2:00 P.M. As soon as I find out what the program is I will post it.
Also if any of you have something you would like to share with us I am sure
we can have a Sunday for a program

This thread: