PAWESTMO-L Archives

Archiver > PAWESTMO > 2002-02 > 1014659980

From: "kruper" <>
Subject: [PAWESTMO-L] Markle Mill History
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:05:49 -0500

Hello Fellow Searchers,
I have seen that history before and was puzzled about the Mills location. I know the Little Sewickley Creek from the mouth through Herminie like the back of my hand. I could not picture any location for Markle's Mill.
This time I got my maps out.
The mill was on the Big Sewickley Creek.
At that location there was a large oxbow where once the creek ran. It was named Markle's Swamp. As a youngster I had many a fishing trip there. I lived in Gratztown then. A number of times I walked from Gratztown to the edge of West Newton up over the hill, circled around West Newton to the Mill Grove area down the hill to the swamp.
I plan to go back this spring and looking up the old mill location will be on my agenda.
Wayne Kruper

This thread: