PAWESTMO-L Archives

Archiver > PAWESTMO > 2007-08 > 1188484967

From: "Paul" <>
Subject: Re: [PAWESTMO] Historical newspapers on microfilm
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:42:47 -0400

The Penn State Campus in Greensburg also has some microfilms of some older
local newspapers. Also, the DAR House (I do not know the formal name) in
Mt. Pleasant has old newspapers (perhaps originals rather than
microfilm???). Also, the West Overton Museum Library does have microfilm as
someone mentioned yesterday, and even tho their reader is indeed as old as
our ancestors, it did work for me last year. Also, the Westmoreland County
Historical Society has microfilm of newspapers. If fact, someone there has
indexed obits , marriages, etc., from early newspapers, and I found the 1840
obit of my George Francis Johnston of Allegheny Township. They then put the
microfilm in their reader and made me a copy. This way, using their index,
shortcuts the guesswork particularly for the earlier years.

Sounds like there are many sources of older newspapers from Greensburg, but
you do not have to go to Harrisburg to find quite a few.

Where is this Balzer library someone mentioned yesterday?????

Paul

This thread: