PAYNE-L Archives

Archiver > PAYNE > 1996-09 > 0843865024

From: "Joseph Payne" <>
Subject: Reuben Payne "Overseer" for Gov. John Sevier 1793
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 96 00:03:39 UT

This weekend my brother and I attended along with 750 other members of the
First Families of Tennessee a celebration of our heritage. At the Museum of
Appalachia in Norris, Tennessee we were treated to a pig roast, catered by
Buddys Barbaque.

Today we attended lectures at the McCloung Museum, Knoxville on life in early
Tennessee and programs staged by volunteers of Knoxville's actors guild,
Native American culture and county historical societies. While at the museum
my brother, who had travel from Tucson, Az just for the occasion noticed in a
book for sale an excerpt of Gov. John Sevier's Diary. The transcription
mentioned Reuben Payne having been appointed the Govenors "overseer". I asked
upstairs a behold the entire transcritption written in 1914 by the ggrandson
of Gov. Sevier was in the McClung special colletion. The following is parts
of that diary that pertained to My ggggrandfather Rebuen Payne and his brother
James Payne. We have various family histories that say that Reuben was born
in England and moved to the frontier probably after 1780. I am not
convienced of that as he immediately established himself one of who I consider
to be one of the founding fathers of not only the State of Tennessee but of
the country as a whole. If you have time to read this I hope you will know
the pride I experienced when I learned of my progeny being thought of so well
by this famous man.

Joe Payne

Washington Co. Tennessee Marriages and Wills Vol. 1 1778 - 1820.
p-58 source p-54 original.
Reuben Payne witness to John Wear, Washington Co. Tn. Benefactors wife Agnes;
Children, Nancy, Phebe, Susannah, Betsy, Jane, George, Hugh, Margaret
Cunningham, Margaret Wilson, Benjamin.
Exc: Agnes Wear, Benjamin Wear, John Wilson. Wit: Reuben Payne, Allen Mathew,
Pro. Aug 1800. Signed John Weir. Deed Book 11 Reg 1806-1808.
(John Wear was on the roster of soldiers of King's Mountain. He was on the
First Tax List for the County of Greene, State of Tennessee, 1783 and was a
signer of the Petition of the Inhabitants of the Western Country for the
formation of the State of Franklin, December, 1787)

p-241 August 8, 1797 John Sevier/Sevier Senr. to John Handley 300 Acres
on the south side of Nolechucky River, including the land where Handley now
lives CONS: 200 lbs. ADJ: Wm Clark Sig: John Sevier WIT: Rueben Payne, James
Henley, Jas. Sevier. CT: Feb 1807 REG: 6 April, 1807.

In Gov. John Sevier's diary owned by the McClung Museum Knoxville on page 19
it
begins.
March 1795 Sunday March 7 Fair & pleasant. Mon. 9 warm snowed at night. Tues
10
snowed in the morning. Bought of Mr. Paine 150 B. corn at 2/. Paid him Liere
7. (?) (?). Wed. 11 clear & cold. thur. Cold snowed at night. Fry 13 cold.
Jno. Fickee 1 pr. overals 12/. Sat. 14 very cold.

Feb. 1796: Sun. 20 came home. cold. Mon. 21 cold. Tues. 22 Mrs. & Mr. Casson,
Mr. & Mrs. Weir & Miss Jimmy & Betsy, Mr. McKee & his Lady, Mr. Debardeliben,
James Sevier his Lady, Mrs. Jack Sevier, Capt. Harrison & Mr Evans staid at
night. Wed. 23 Capt Harrison, Mr Waddle & Mr. Evans took Brak. & set out for
Jonesbo. Rained some in the evening, Thur. 24 Rained some in the evening.
Thur. 24 rained in the morng. Frost in the morng. Memo. Paid Mr. Doake for
schooling Washington & Saml. a half Joe(?). Paid Mr. James Paine towards Rye
had some time ago 1 Guinea. Memo. Paid Alex Nelso for Expenses at Rodgers pr.
order from Rogers 34/9. put into the hands of Walter King a patent of 25660
acres on waters of Cumberland. etc.

December 1796 Sun. 25 very cold Dined at Mr. Sherrills Mon. 26 V. cold. Dined
at Mr. McKees. Tues. 27 Reuben Paine set in to be Overseer at 40 Liere pr.
annum pd. Ruble the B. Smith 1/9. in full of all due for S. work ---pd. Richd.
Campble 14/. for a pr. shoes. Wed. 28 very cold Thur. 29. 29 ditto. Fry 30
ditto. Sat. 31 ditto.

July 1797 Sat. 29 came home in Co. with Col. S. Weir, Whorton rector & a son
of
Col. Arthrus. rained a little in the night. Sun 30 light shower in the
morining. Memo purchase yesterday from Wharton Rector this goods in Knoxville
- for which I am to give him 25 pct. in advance. Samuel Weir, James Paine &
young Arthur Wittens (?) Mon. 31 Fair & hot.

October 1798 Sun. 28 cloudy & very cool. Memo. recd from James Paine at So.
W. point 4 dollars towards pay of thirty-three gallons of whiskee. Mon. 29
cool
& dry hard frost. Tues. 30 cloudy & cold snowed a little in the night - dined
at Colo. Henleys with Capt Henly & others.

April 1799 thurs 25 Give Mrs. Field an order to Capt. Croziers for 19/ on
acct. of John Miller. Let John Miller have 30 lbs of bacon at Sundry times.
Let him have Cr. with James Paine at Simerals store for 30/. Messrs. Miller
have had bacon at Sundry times also Cr. in Capt. John Croziers store - had a
middling of bacon at one time. Memo. Robert Reynolds red. of Walter King pr
my
order some tome ago 1136 ls. Castings.

Feb. 1800. Sat. 22 early in the morning 16 rounds of cannon fired - at 12 the
army & Citizens in great numbers moved in procession in condolence of the
death
of Gen. Washington. Gove. Sevier & Wm. Blount. 2 monuments (?) Genl. White,
Maj. McClung, Capt. Sparks, Maj. Roane Pall bearers guns fired all day &c.
The day very fine.

April 1800 Fry 18 ditto - ditto. Bob horse run away. Sat 19 sent Tobe after
the horse. The forge began to work. Sun 20 myself and Mrs. King went to
meeting at Combs Ferry. Mon 21 the forge begand to work. Memo. to inquire
after Aaron Ryley his mother lives near this place.
Boil one quart of N. milch half away, with a half pound old bacon therein
(good
to cure the botts on a horse)
Turn eggs with the small end down in good wood ashes. Change them onst a week
and they will keep several months. Tues. 22 Tobe returned with the horse.
Sun. 27 Mrs. Cuningham and Mrs. Combs dined with Mrs. King. Mon.
28 Reuben and James Payne came to the works. Cash on hand 34 & Eat fish for
Brakfast. (First time he spells Payne)

June 1800 Tues. 10 set out in Co. with Colo. Harrison for Knoxville - Mr
Sherrills continued very ill.
Reuben Paine let a person living on old Kennedys place have 6 bushels of
wheat to sow last fall. Memo. I left enclosed in a letter with Wm Sherrill a
bond on Charles Robertson Ducased (?) directed to Maj. Sevier to bring suit
for
the recovery of the debt date Sept. 6, 1782. The sum 50 pounds payable 6
July,
1783 John Garny security and William Murphy deceased a witness. The bond
taken
in the name of John Sevier administrator of Robert Sevier. Colo. Harrison and
myself dined at Waddle. lodged all night at Mr. Henry Ernests.

September 1800; Fry. 26 Indorsed a note of hand on John McDonald for 65
dollars
and one of 15 on John Fultons to John Sherrill in payment of a debt dues from
Wm Sherrill of 100 dollers dues for a negro boy. Elisha Walling vs. James
Barry
a verdict by a Jury in the Suprior Court in Hamilton district in favour of the
plantiff for lands in Powels vally. both parties had entered in Carters office
in the year 1799 late. Berry had his land run off by Walter Evans the
surveyor
and the patent issued signed by Gov. Davie all in the year 1799. This
observation is to show that all the different governors and secretaries have
paid the same respect to the Carter warrant as they have to others wheresoever
they were made.

September 1802 Self & Mr. Fish started for Abingdon, Va., to meet the
Commissioners to extend the division lines between the States Virginia and
Tennessee....... Fry 1 day of October We arrived at Abingdon - Gen. Martin
one
of the Virginia Commissioners arrived..... Sat. 2 Mr. Taylor & Mr. Johnson
arrived in eveng. F. day Sun. 3 Stull stayed at Mr. Carmacks. Mon 4 We all
met at Cap Craigs & agreed to meet Tuesday morning on the line, near Cap.
Duncans on Holsen.... Tues. 5 We met, made a Tryal to find the latitude on
Henderson line. It was thought the observation was imperfect. It being some
miles so. of 36 d 30 m the true latitude - We then agreed to meet next day on
Walker (?) (?) We met on Walkers line made observations - Mr. Fish on the
part
of Tennessee & Mr. Laws on the part of Virginia. By Mr. Fish we appeared to
be
in Latitude 36 d 16 m. By Mr. Laws 36 d. 12 m....... Thurs 7 We proceeded to
Henderson line Made observations - by Mr. Fish we found it to be in latitude
36
14 by Mr. Law Lat 36 1..... Fry 8 We made observations on our side at the
same
place. Mr. Fish the Lat to be 36 21 ... Mr. Law who took it about one mile
from us made it to be in Lat. 36 47..... Sat. 9 we sent Mr. Markland off as
express to Gov. Roane... Memo. Paid expenses since I set out from Home 13 1/4
dollars to this day..... Mon. 18 Set out for Mr. Keewoods to meet the
Commissioners - left with Mr. Keewood 10 dollars for him to give unto my
brother Jos. Sevier & for him to give the same unto Mr. David Deadrick.....
Tues. 19 set out from Mr. Kings and met the Virginia Commissioners at Cap.
Craigs Tarried all night..... thru. 21 We rapaired to William Kings Tarried
all night after taking some observations... Sat. 23 After some notes passing
between the Virginia & Tennessee Commissioners we mutually agreed to run an
intermediate line between Walkers and Hendersons 7 sent the surveyors to
measure the distance between the two lines - Rutledge & Martin attend the
runing... Sun. 24 ... Gen. Martin retd. & the surveyors who reported that the
true distance between the two lines was found to be two miles 1/2 & 25 poles;
which was begun on Walkers line & run 2 1/2 degrees wt. of due north
Mon. Nov. 1802 Mr. Fish went on to Hawkins C. H. Self and Genl. Rutledge
crossed Clinch (?) Mountain at Loonys Ganp (?) traveled down lower creek to
Abs. Loonys came up with the surveyors at Daws Rogers plantation. The line
crossing at Waddels ford on Clinch river near mouth of Shelbys creek one mile
above - lay there all night. Mr. Fish retd. brought with him $50 Recd from
Nelson sheriff of Hawkins out of which I received 18 dollars.... Wed. 24 Lay
here this day & night Genl. Martin & Majr. Taylor arrived. Thur. 25 Rained
Lay at Robers Fry. 26 Clear day. We all sit out from Robert's crossed
newmans
Ridge & lodged all night on black water creek at Gibsons...Mssrs. Fish and
Taylor left us. Sat. 27 We st Y Crossed Powells mountain and lodged at
Sanders
mill 7 miles...Left the surveyors coming on from Blackwater. On our route
today passed DanielFlanarys on No. side of mulbery Gaup. Mulbery creek runs
down into Powels river between Powels mountain and Waldens Ridge. Sun. 28 We
measured the Cross line and found our course on quarter too far to the So -
Lodged at same place. Mon. 29 We rectfied our course & still remained at
Sanders.

December, 1802 Thurs. 2 Cleared up - We all sit out Crossed Waldens Ridge and
powells river near 3 miles above Martins Creek - Lodged myself and Genl.
rutledge at James Overton near James's salt lick. Fry. 3 We measured the
cross
line at James salt lick Found ourselves with the line five poles too far So.
Sat 4 rectified the line, and sit out run through the lick leaving the pitt a
few poles in Virginia....Myself and Genl. Rutledge retd. to Overtons Tarried
all night, as we had on Fryday night.... Sun. 5...We sit out from Mr. Overtons
after brakfirst. Lodged all night at Shadwilly (?).... Mon. 6 We sit out for
Cumberland Gaup.. Arrived about 8 o'clock at Colo. Charles Cocks. Stayed all
night.... Tues 7 Sit out again found the commissioners and surveyors at
William
Robertsons, near the gaup. We took up Camp here and lodged all night....
Wed.
8 Finished the line, which struck the Caintucky line about one Quarter So. of
the Gaup - this day we made out our reports & exchanged on each side - Snowy
day and very cold Lodged at same plance. Thurs. 9 Myself & our Commisrs. and
surveyors sit out for home. Very cold. Lodged all night at Claibornes Court
House. Fry. 10 We traveled on to Gordon Beens old station.... Sat. 11 We
again
sit out early in the morning - Lodged all night at Crosses (Bulls Gap).....
Sun.
12 Set out early 18 miles to Babbs mill - 9 to Tho. Gillespy 2 to Mr.
Mcallisters & 4 home, which we arrived at in the evening.......

(There is a long time between entires. The rest are in Seiver's years in
Washington
as friends with President Madison.)

December 1811 Sat. 21 Dined with President Madison, the guests were the French
minister (?) the French Consul General, Vice President Mr. Clay, the Speaker,
Gov. Holmes, Judge Taylor, (?) Cox, Mr. Tait from Georgia, and others with
General Granger &c....
February 1812 Fry 6.... Dined with President Sat 7... Stayed all night at
General Bailys Sun 22.... Wrote to Mrs. Sevier china water & powder to
blacken hair at John Scotts (Pha) (hair dresser & perfumer). Fry Visited in
the evening in Co. with Colo. Smithe the Secretary of the Navy (Mr.
Hamilton).... Sun 29...Wrote to Mrs. Sevier Wt. to Catholic meeting......
Cure for Cancer. Boil west Turkey figs in new mild which will thicken in
boiling - apply them broken or whole to the affected part which must be washed
every time dressed with sour milk. Use a fresh poultice night & morning and
oncst in the middle of the day, & drink one gill of the mild the figs are
boiled in twice in 24 hours.
April 1812 Sat. 4 Dined at Mr. Monroes Mon. 20 George Clinton Vice President
died this morning.
July 1813 Wed 4 very warm packing up to start for Tennessee. Spent the
evening
at Mr. Davis's... thurs. 5... Mr. Rhea & myself then left the city and went to
Geotown in eveng.
August, 1813 Sun. 15 Cure for the rheumatism - make 1/4 poke berry Juice, 3
parts whiske or some other spirits.

December 1814 Dec. 31 I went to the office of the Secretary of State &
deposited two deeds of release one for 40000 acres of land in the bend of
Tennessee - one track laying on limestone creek, the other on Mulbery creek
also one other of 10000 acres on the Tennessee at the mouth of Blew water.

Sat. 18 Dined with the President

June 1815 Tues 27 We wrote a letter to the Path killer & chiefs of the
Cherokees to meet us at this place on the 17th of July. Wed. 28... The
commission made a requisition on the commanding officers of this place, Lieut.
Pain & received 24 blankets, 24 soldiers shirts & 3 quires of coarse w. paper.
(Knoxville)
Gen John Sevier died in September 1815 while running the boundary line in the
Creek Nation. John Sevier is now supposed to be buried in the Courhouse Yard
at Knoxville, Tn

Deed Book 9 1801-1806 p-217-8 February 26, 1803 Reubin Payne to Sml
Gamble Sullivan Co. 200 acres on Sinking Creek. CONS: $666.66 ADJ: Nicoles
Hail, Loyd Ford For: NC Grant of November 10, 1784 SIG: Reubin Payne WIT:
Nathan Shipley, James Payne, David Dyer.

This thread: